Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Honest advice - should I go to Thailand in June?

• bluebelle

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2010

My plans completely avoid Bangkok, except arriving at BKK and flying straight out to Ko Samui and the opposite on the way home.

I'm 21, female, and meeting a friend there and we're travelling together. I've been reading the other threads, but was wondering what the realistic risks are? My parents do not want me to go, but all the info I can get, even British foreign office who are notoriously over-reactive, seems to say it's fine to go if I avoid Bangkok (and the southern provinces etc etc).

Any advice would be appreciated. What are the chances, for example, of a bomb in ko samui or protesters gathering in Chumpon?

#1 Posted: 14/5/2010 - 05:06

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Wait a few days and we can give you a better answer.

#2 Posted: 14/5/2010 - 10:05

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

AS per MADMAC - things look to be heating up (again) -- but it may blow over. DIfificult to say at this stage. But even if the situation was to escalate drastically I'd expect the rest of the country to remain mostly safe.

#3 Posted: 14/5/2010 - 10:36

• arundown

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2010
    Location Singapore

bluebelle ..so u still flyin in to bangkok....i ve decidd to give it a go...arrive t bangkok and straight to koh phangan.....!!

#4 Posted: 2/6/2010 - 19:25

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

If you still read this: just go, almost everything is ok again now!
    really no worries. I'm not there anymore but got into that mess for 2 years in a row, still had no problems with it, even when I was in BKK for more then a week.
    Don't think about what they are doing: think about what you want to do and just go for it :), you'll love it!

#5 Posted: 2/6/2010 - 21:31

• bluebelle

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2010

Thanks for all the replies :) I'm still going - flying straight from BKK to Ko Samui as planned, spending first week on the islands, and second week is still a bit uncertain - if there are still no problems we're gonna travel up the coast from Nakhon Si Thammarat or Chumpon to Kanchanaburi (through places like Prachuap, Hua Hin and Phetchaburi) and spending our last day or so in Bangkok, just to say we saw it really, then out to the airport and home. If there are any signs of problems we're gonna stay around Surat Thani and the islands really.

I'm leaving on Sunday - so so so so so excited!!! :D

#6 Posted: 3/6/2010 - 15:56

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

I see your iteneray are mostly on the southern part of Thailand. There shouldnt be any worry. I had just came back from Phang Nga Bay, krabi and Pak Bara. We went on 27 May and came back on 31st May. No sign of af any unrest or tense situation. Everything is A-OK.

AA

#7 Posted: 3/6/2010 - 18:46

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Thailand's recent unreast problems are thankfully now under control. The climax was May 19 when anti-government protesters went on a last-hurrah arson spree in some parts of Bangkok, and other groups gathered and made woopie at some of the outlying provincial capitols. Since then however it's been calmed down, dispersed, and pretty much all back to normal. I think you'll find that in reality there's nothing to worry about doing any travels in Thailand.

#8 Posted: 4/6/2010 - 00:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Should I cancel my trip to Thailand June 1st - 13th Thanks for any help or advice! ... By violetray on 5 May 2010 11 2881 8 May 2010