Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Suggestions for a place to stay for 2 or 3 months?

• rawjer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 9

Posted from within Vietnam.

I've been traveling through Vietnam for the past 3.5 months, working from my laptop most days and seeing some sights on others. My plan is to spend June in Cambodia, and then I had planned on getting to Bangkok after that and probably find an apartment there for at least two months so I could get more work done without always being in small hotel rooms.

I've been to Bangkok before and I'm not overly worried about the current craziness, but still I think there might be a better place for me to go anyway.

So I'm wondering if any Thailand experts have any suggestions for an alternative?

Things I really want:
    -Monthly apartment, hopefully less than US$600/month, with a kitchen and A/C
    -Solid internet connection
    -Nearby food market

Would also be nice:
    -Near the beach, or non-steamy weather
    -At least a few local expats or tourists at a nearby bar
    -Convenient airport or border for possible visa runs

Any ideas? I've read about Pattaya and that sounds okay, but the sex-trade stuff makes it sound a bit over the top.

#1 Posted: 15/5/2010 - 12:14

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

600 a month - man, you can rent a nice place for that kind of money. At least out in the provincial capitals. I would actually look at Udon Thani. It has a fairly large expat scene, some decent restaraunts, is close to Laos for a visa run... and it's pretty compact.

#2 Posted: 15/5/2010 - 22:56

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

My friend had a place on the beach in Prachuap Khiri Khan for around U$500/mo. Furnished, 2 bedrooms, wi-fi, AND a scooter! It was right on Ao Manao. Looked great, but he said the cockney landlord was a bit of a freak. Low-key town with an ex-pat scene, great scenery, and superb seafood.

#3 Posted: 15/5/2010 - 23:21

• rawjer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 9

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thanks MADMAC and Tilapia,

Those both look like very good possibilities based on what I'm reading. I might end up doing the beach one first and then trying the other one after a visa refresh in Laos, or the other way around.

I've seen that apartments that resemble hotel rooms often start around $300/month or even under, and I'm willing to pay more for a place with a proper kitchen and a desk and chair for working. This is all really good news based on what I'm looking for.

If anyone else has any other suggestions I'd still appreciate it. I might end up trying several different places over time.

#4 Posted: 16/5/2010 - 16:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
good place to stay for 2_3 months ... By bobytwo on 1 Dec 2010 6 2390 19 Jan 2011