Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

safety in krabi, phi phi, and koh samui

• carlybee143

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2010

hi everyone,

i am meant to be traveling to thailand on june 1st for 2 weeks with my sister. we are staying with friends who live in krabi and visiting a couple of other islands,like phi phi and koh samui. the only time we will be in bkk is when we land, after which we will switch planes, and when we return back to the states. we are never planning to leave the airport.

does anyone have a handle on the safety of the islands i mentioned above? do you think if we are just in the bangkok airport we are ok?

many thanks,
    carly

#1 Posted: 15/5/2010 - 14:26

• Advertisement

• sidewinder

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 7

The airport will be absolutely fine.

As for the places you list, not heard of anything happening anywhere apart from the small bombs a few months back in Surat Thani (from where boats depart for Koh Samui). The protests are in Bangkok for a reason, the last place anything would happen would be in the top tourist islands

It'll be fine

#2 Posted: 15/5/2010 - 18:16

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I was in the south when the YELLOW SHIRTS took over the airport. There was no impact on the islands apart from fewer visitors after a while.
    I was in the Eastern Gulf island area when the present problems were revving up - no impact again.
    Only caveat is that airport is not taken over again - I think the authorities will do all they can to prevent that this time.

#3 Posted: 16/5/2010 - 17:54

• Risha

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

The only small attacks that went on in Surat Thani were at a politician's house about 40 kilometers from the boat pier - nothing to do with travelers.
    Bangkok Airport is very safe, no worries - and the same goes for the rest of the country outside of Bangkok.

#4 Posted: 16/5/2010 - 19:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.