Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

My one month Itinerary - Help/Suggestions please

• Garm

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2010

Hi,

This is hopefully the first of many trips for us to SE Asia.

We're arriving in Bangkok the first week of June. This is a provisional Itinerary we have drafted. It would be much apprecited if you knowledgable folk could give us some tips or maybe tell us if it need improving to get the best out of our time here.

Day 1 - Arrive BKK in the late evening. Taking transfer direct to Ayutthaya. Unpack and chill after 14 hours of flying!

Day 2 - Full day to visit sites of Ayutthaya.

Day 3 - Take early morning train north to Lopburi. Spend approx 5 hours there to see the town and jump back on north train to Phitsanulok . Arrive in Phitsanulok approx. 8:45 and take bus transfer to Sukhothai . Settle into Sukhothai accomodation.

Day 4 - Full day to visit sites of Sukhothai

Day 5 - 3/4 day in Sukhothai. We want to depart for Chiang Mai late that evening by taking the late train from Phitsanulok.

Day 6 - Arrive in Chiang Mai early morning. Full day Chiang Mai. Cooking class/flight of the gibbon planned.

Day 7 - Full Day Chiang Mai. Possibly Patara Elephant Farm.

Day 8 - Travel to Chiang Rai early morning and organise trekking (we will ideally have this organised before we arrive in Thailand) Explore sights of Chiang Rai

Day 9 - Trekking/overnight

Day 10 - Trekking/overnight

Day 11 - Arrive back in Chiang Rai from Trekking in afternoon. Travel back to Chiang Mai. Spend the rest of the day exploring Chiang Mai without planned activities.

Day 12 - Another free day in Chiang Mai but we'd like to ideally spend this day doing a short day trip elsewhere. Late night flight to Phuket from Chiang Mai. Arrive phuket. Check into accomodation.

Day 13 - Full day Phuket. Nothing planned so far.

Day 14 - Full day Phuket. Phang Nga Bay full day tour.

Day 15 - Early morning transfer to Phi Phi island. Check into accomodation and chill.

Day 16 - Phi Phi

Day 17 - Phi Phi. Maya Bay Camping in the evening.

Day 18 - Back track to Phuket in the late afternoon and take flight to Koh Samui. Crash in Samui for the night.

Day 19 - Transfer to Koh Phangan. Arrive at accomodation early afternoon. Booked

Day 20 - Koh Phangan

Day 21 - Koh Phangan. June full moon party!

Day 22 - Koh Phangan

Day 23 - Transfer back to Koh Samui. Check into accomodation. Booked.

Day 24 - Koh Samui

Day 25 - Koh Samui

Day 26 - Koh Samui

Day 27 - FREE

Day 28 - FREE

Day 29 - FREE

Day 30 - FREE. Late night flight from BKK home.

So that's it! What do you think? Days 27 - 30 are provisionally free as were hoping to spend that time in Bangkok. We're hoping everybody will be at peace by then. If not we don't know what to do with those days. Perhaps Kanchanaburi and surrounding areas??? Any ideas?

We do have a lot of activities planned, i only mentioned a few here and there.

This post is quite long but any replies would be really really appreciated. Thank you ;)

#1 Posted: 18/5/2010 - 21:54

• Advertisement

• AngelFish78

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2010
    Location Global Village

Hi Garm,

First of all: I'm sure it will be one of many holidays, cause once you've had a taste of SE Asia, you'll definately come back for more! ;-)
    It does look like you've already got a very full schedule. Personally I always try not to plan too much in advance, so I can always decide to stay somewhere a bit longer (or leave early!). But this is different for everyone I guess, so here are some more ideas how you can fill your itinerary.

I'm not sure if you're into diving, but if so: do try and spend a few days at Koh Tao! Diving trips are loads cheaper there compared to the neighbouring islands Koh Phangan and Samui (mostly because if you go diving from there, they take you to Koh Tao first, 1,5 hours by boat).
    You can easily take a boat from Samui to Koh Tao, and when you go back just take the ferry to Chumphon to catch a train back to Bangkok.

Another great place to visit (for a real jungle experience) is Kao Sok National Park, not far from Surat Thani so you could also go there coming from Phuket or Samui.

Of course Kanchanaburi would also be a good option... the bridge and railway are very impressive, and if you've got enough time go visit the Hellfire Pass. You can find some good itineraries here:
    http://www.seat61.com/Kwai.htm

Hope this helps & have a great holiday!

Angela

#2 Posted: 19/5/2010 - 02:06

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

Hi Garm,

Since you are planning on Ayutthaya and Lop Buri already, I wonder if skipping Sukhothai might be a way to free up a few days and take some of the pressure off your busy itinerary. If you skipped Sukhothai, you could take the overnight sleeper train directly from Lop Buri all the way to Chiang Mai . That might even give you time for an overnight trip to Chiang Dao or something else close to Chiang Mai.

If you decide you can't live without seeing Sukhothai, then consider taking the bus from there up to Chiang Mai on the afternoon of day five. There are buses that come through Sukhothai on their way to Chiang Mai. I think that would be easier than backtracking to Phitsanulok for the night train.

Also, if you do decide to visit Sukhothai via the train to Phitsanulok, you might want to have a guesthouse or two in mind in case you wind up needing to spend the night of day three in P-lok. In December we took the train from Lop Buri to Phitsanulok. It was over an hour late getting to Lop Buri, and nearly two hours late by the time it arrived in P-lok. If that happens to you, you might not be able to continue to Sukhothai that night. Don't worry though. There are a few good spots to sleep in Phitsanulok as well as a good night zone party area with a strip of beer bars and traditional Thai massage places along the river.

Hope that helps. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 19/5/2010 - 02:36

• Garm

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2010

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for the replies, sorry i'm only getting back to you now i've been busy with exams!

I do indeed have a pretty full schedule, and sadly yes it is fixed in parts due to us having already booked flights etc so maybe we will learn to be a bit more flexible next time. I'm still considering whether to visit Sukhothai or not but my gf really wants to visit it so i reckon we probably will end up going there. I see your point though exacto, skipping it would take a lot of pressure off.

Since i posted this thread i have pulled a lot of loose ends togther but i'm having a serious problem trying to plan one element of the trip. Again we have left ourselves in a tight situation on the Andaman coast due to a flight commitment from Phuket to Samui.

Maybe you guys can help me. As mentioned above, we are planning on doing 2 days in Phuket and 3 in Koh Phi Phi.

I know it's going to be tight but is it possible for us to leave Phi Phi on the morning of the 23rd of June and make it to the airport in Phuket by around 3:15pm?

We are doing the Maya Bay Camping on the final night in Phi Phi Leh so we don't depart for Phi Phi Don until 9:45am on the 23rd - meaning what time would we get back?

#4 Posted: 26/5/2010 - 21:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Burma - 1 month itinerary - Any suggestions? ... By tbedsaul on 23 Jan 2010 23 7619 6 Aug 2011
Suggestions re my itinerary - arriving 15 Dec for one month ... By skate on 9 Dec 2009 0 1790 9 Dec 2009