Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ko Chang to Bangkok Airport? Is it Safe?

• samh90

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2010

We have got a flight from bkk tomorrow at 6:30pm down to Surat Thani but i'm unsure on the best way to get to bangkok, are there buses after you get off the ferry?

Also, do you think we will be able to fly and will it be safe in surat thani, i.e any rioting or trouble there??

#1 Posted: 20/5/2010 - 11:44

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You should be able to get a minibus from Laem Ngop ( the pier) to Bangkok -- ask about being dropped at the airport as you almost drive past it coming in from Ko Chang.

No reports of problems in the south so far.

#2 Posted: 20/5/2010 - 13:16

• Risha

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

You can either go by train or bus from Surat Thani . Surat Thani and the islands have been protestor free all the time, so i wouldn't worry a thing.

#3 Posted: 23/5/2010 - 22:21

• tnvfpc

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2010

Hi
    How do hi get from Bangkok to koh chang?
    The fastest way please, if you know.

Thank you so much

#4 Posted: 30/5/2010 - 07:19

• CocoDeeBo

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2007
    Location Thailand

some info here http://cocodeebokohchang.com/information/about-koh-chang/koh-chang-articles/travel-essentials.html
    there's also a new bus service direct from BKK airport onto KC itself:
    http://www.bussuvarnabhumikohchang.com/
    quickest way is to fly with Bangkok airways to Trat airport then take the minibus to any destination on the island.

#5 Posted: 30/5/2010 - 16:32

• samh90

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2010

What CooDeeBo said sums it up really.
    Fly to trat and then a songtheaw to the ferry pier.
    Personally, I travelled the other way round by VIP Minubus 850bht from hotel to airport directly. It's probably actually quicker by minibus if you account for check in time, waiting in airports, collecting lugauge etc.

#6 Posted: 30/5/2010 - 16:37

• lavignaude

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2010

Take the bus from Bangkok airport to Koh Chang
    7:30 am every day, takes 5 - 6 hours but that includes the ferry crossing and transport from ferry to white sands beach. 308 thb each way (as of Aug 2010) VIP coach in hi season, mini bus in low season.

#7 Posted: 26/8/2010 - 22:51

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Is it safe?

I don't know. I heard Charlie Cong was hitting the region hard... oh wait, wrong country, wrong time frame.

#8 Posted: 27/8/2010 - 01:46

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

I took the Suvarnabhumi to Chang bus but am not sure I would again. It was cheap and easy but the journey was closer to 7 hours. Part of the problem was that my flight arrived at 4:20am so it was a long, tiring wait to get going but we didn't set off until almost 8am. The stewardess put on pop music straightaway, but turned it off after the whole bus explained we wanted to sleep! There was a long wait to cross to the island and a very very slow ferry was used. I guess we reached KC at about 2:30pm. I was getting cabin fever by then! The (company?) taxis were waiting to take us to our destinations for normal fares.

I got normal trat to airport bus back and it took 5 hours

If my flight had landed later I may have enjoyed it more, but I think next time I'd see if there was an earlier ordinary bus from the airport to Trat or take a taxi to one of the bus stations and get the 6am one.

#9 Posted: 31/8/2010 - 15:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Lost camera at Don Muang airport, Bangkok - how safe is it there ... By pjputs on 13 Aug 2014 3 361 13 Aug 2014
Cash Money /jewellery safe in Bangkok/ Airport ? ... By idolevy on 18 Mar 2009 1 2969 18 Mar 2009
Taxi share- Bangkok airport to Koh Chang ferry pier ... By Chasm on 29 Oct 2012 0 1668 29 Oct 2012