Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

October Weather

• tommy1305

Joined Travelfish
    25th March, 2010

Hi everyone ,

im arriving into bangkok in October 2010. From past experience can anyone advise as to what the weather is like at this time . i want to visit the islands for 2 weeks, which side is better at that time ??

Thanks
    Tom

#1 Posted: 21/5/2010 - 15:06

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Wow, Oct is one of the few months when normally ALL areas are in wet seasib. Samui-Phangan-Tao's wet season tends to kick off in Oct so if this year sees a late start that might be okay. Elsewhere Ko Samet tends to be one of the driest islands - and my experience of the Andaman in wet season is that usually there is plenty of sunshine for a good beach holiday.
    I'm a weather nerd - this is my usual spiel for Oct (may be some repetition).

October is usually one of the wettest months in all areas. But we still get plenty of posts saying people had a good holiday with the usual daily mixture of one or a few showers/storms and sunshine/scattered cloud, some days with no rain. This has been the pattern in all my wet season visits (one of these went into early Oct.)

Prolonged wet periods are not too common in Thailand but I have to say in all the years I've been following the wet season (I'm a weather nerd) the most complaints of this have come from the Samui area islands in Oct, Nov and early Dec. But things are variable - I've only visited this area once during THAT period, in Nov 97, and I got good weather.
    September in this area tends to be the end of its drier mid-year period, so if your visit is EARLY Oct, you may have a better chance of less rain than later.
    Seems to me the really bad years tend to be about one in 4-5, but not necessarily every 4th-5th year.

Statistically the driest island in an average Oct has been Ko Samet (216mm and 15 days with SOME sort of rain - on some days this could be a short shower at night). Most of Samet's beaches face east and are sheltered from the prevailing wet season winds which on the days when they get stronger can cause rough seas and blow a lot of flotsam and jetsam onto exposed beaches.
    The wettest are the Ranong Islands of little Ko Chang and Ko Phayam (414mm-24). Samui has averaged 304-20.

Anecdotally and statistically wet season tends to end earlier in the eastern Gulf than other island areas. So if you are going LATE Oct you may find Big Ko Chang and its neighbours drier than most except Samet.

If you look at the stats for the north in the second link below you will find rainfall totals seem to drop earlier there too. The central area around Bangkok seems less wet also.

#2 Posted: 22/5/2010 - 14:15

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

seasib??

#3 Posted: 22/5/2010 - 14:15

• coricorina

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2011

Hello everybody
    first time in thailand will be in early october.going with b/f and for now,we have no itinerary except 4 days in Bangkok..lol.Will have up to one month.
    any suggestions?
    Thank you for your help

#4 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 23:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Weather in October ... By marinarodgers on 24 Jun 2009 12 45261 29 Jun 2010
Weather in October ... By tommy1305 on 25 Mar 2010 3 3296 18 Aug 2011
Weather In September-October ... By fergal25 on 15 Sep 2013 10 2117 27 Nov 2013
Malaysia Weather In October ... By imranarish on 7 Sep 2012 2 1365 17 Sep 2012
Thailand Weather October ... By Joannacxxx on 24 Jul 2011 11 17845 19 Aug 2011