Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Itinerary for 2months in SE Asia - Help Please!!

• catherine25

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2010

Hi

Myself and my boyfriend are heading out to SE Asia to do a bit of travelling before we head to Australia on a working visa.

We've travelled before and don't really like making concrete plans but as theres so much to do and see we want to have a general idea of what we are doing before we head out.

We have from the 30th June to 30th August and were thinking something along the lines of:

Bangkok
    Ayutthaya
    Siem Reap/Angkor (via Aranya Prathet/Poipet border)
    Phnom Penh
    Sihanoukville
    Phu Quoc (via Prek Chek/Xa Xia border)
    Can Tho
    My Tho
    Ho Chi Minh City
    Vung Tao
    Mui Ne
    Nha Trang (fly to Hanoi)
    Hanoi
    Halong Bay (fly to Phuket)
    Phuket
    Phang-Nga
    Krabi
    Ko Phi Phi
    Ko Tao
    Ko Pha-Ngan
    Pulau Perhentian (via Padang Besar/Kanger border)
    Pulau Redang
    Pulau Kapas
    Kuala Terrengganu (fly to Kuala Lumpur)
    Kuala Lumpur
    Melaka
    Singapore - for flight on 30th August

Apart from the routes we are going to fly we plan to get around mainly by bus (or train).

However, we are worried about booking flights incase we change our minds while out there, but fear they may become too expensive to just wait and book as we go.

Any advice would be really helpful, as I said this is just a general idea of what we would like to do from reading about SE Asia.

Thanks!!

#1 Posted: 27/5/2010 - 00:00

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Ok, let's see, I wouldn't book in advance as plans change all the time and it's still not expensive to book when you're in asia(I see that you're flying from Hanoi to phuket, I did booked it from Hanoi to BKK for $45 so it's really cheap (I skipped that flight though cause I went to laos :) )).

now about your list,

Bangkok (if it's your first time in BKK you'll hate it, after 4 times, you'll love it )
    Ayutthaya (ok : Have to go!)
    Siem Reap/Angkor (via Aranya Prathet/Poipet border)(ok : Have to go!)
    Phnom Penh (ok : Have to go!)
    Sihanoukville (you're going to the beaches in thailand anyway so i would skip this if I was you, saves you at least a couple a days)
    Phu Quoc (via Prek Chek/Xa Xia border) (don't know)
    Can Tho (don't know)
    My Tho (don't know)
    Ho Chi Minh City (I'd stay for 2 days and leave : go see the gucci tunnels and move on)
    Vung Tao (no)
    Mui Ne (no : there's nothing to see here so skip it and go straight to Nha trang)
    Nha Trang (fly to Hanoi) ( !!! Must go, on of coolest places I've been in SE Asia )
    Hanoi (have to go!)
    Halong Bay (fly to Phuket) have to go (but you'll have to get back to hanoi four your flight)

from here on it's whatever time you got left to explore the islands.
    If you got loads of time left after Hanoi I'd skip into laos and go around there for a few days and then head all the way down by train

Phuket
    Phang-Nga
    Krabi
    Ko Phi Phi
    Ko Tao
    Ko Pha-Ngan
    Pulau Perhentian (via Padang Besar/Kanger border)
    Pulau Redang
    Pulau Kapas
    Kuala Terrengganu (fly to Kuala Lumpur)
    Kuala Lumpur
    Melaka
    Singapore - for flight on 30th August

#2 Posted: 27/5/2010 - 01:05

• catherine25

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2010

Thanks for your reply!

We would really like to go to Laos, I had looked at flights in Vientiane from Hanoi, but to get from around there down to Phuket is very expensive by plane, so we looked at train to Bangkok then flight to Phuket which is ok.

BUT were worried if we come in by land well only get 15days. This would fit our plans 'perfectly' but we would worry if we wanted to stay on a few extra days or something then we would run out of time!!

Is the 15day rule strictly in force?

#3 Posted: 28/5/2010 - 03:12

• yogakhaolak

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2010

Yes it is still in force. But to avoid this you can get a 60 day tourist visa at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane. They are free until March.

#4 Posted: 29/5/2010 - 10:44

• catherine25

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2010

Thats great news, though do you mean free until March of next year?
    Thanks!

#5 Posted: 29/5/2010 - 19:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.