Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok airport - transfer to train

• maribsa

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

Is there any easy way to get from Bangkok airport to a train station to catch the southbound train to Surat Thani, without having to go into central Bangkok? We are landing in Bangkok 21st of June, and while people are saying that everything is back to normal, I don't feel convinced that the conflict couldn't spark up again at any time, and want to have a back-up plan. Appreciate any advice you have!

#1 Posted: 31/5/2010 - 16:15

• Advertisement

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

Maribsa, I think it is safe to go from airport to Hualampong train station (main station, located in the center of Banggkok). You can do this by cab or by bus.
    By the way, you can fly directly to SuratTani by AirAsia. It's more expensive than train, but you will avoid Bangkok at all (and save time).

#2 Posted: 31/5/2010 - 22:52

• maribsa

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

Thanks for your advice Vlad. I know it is safe now; as I said I'm just trying to have a back-up plan in case the situation changes. I also know that there are flights, but I prefer overland travel, and if the conflict should get violent again like right before we arrive the flights might be sold out or very expensive. So does anybody have advice on alternative stations to catch the train, or a bus?

#3 Posted: 2/6/2010 - 18:51

• arundown

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2010
    Location Singapore

hay maribsa..

First of all dont think of taking private buses from kao san road even if u dont have any options!
    There have been lots of thefts recorded...better choice is by train...or you can take the goverment bus from southern bus terminal which is very safe to travel.....

I am arriving on the 23 rd of june and heading to koh phangan for e full moon party
    but trains seems pretty booked....so make arrangements and book early as possible..
    If u have any other questions u can mail me t arun339@yahoo.com

#4 Posted: 3/6/2010 - 15:34

• maribsa

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

Don't worry, I've read the warnings about private buses from KSR. So you mean it's ok to get from the airport to the Southern bus terminal without going through central bangkok? From the map it looks like those places are on the opposite extremes of the city, so it would probably take a while to go there without going throgh the centre. And these government buses, does anybody know how often they leave and how long it takes to get to Chumpon or Surhat Thani?

#5 Posted: 3/6/2010 - 19:13

• ThailandTra-
    velPlan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2010

Getting a taxi from the Airport to the Bus station is cheap if in the worst case scenario things get bad again, the taxi driver can take you around any problem spot.
    To be honest though since the red shirts surrendered I am confident you will be fine travelling through Bangkok and really have nothing to worry about.

#6 Posted: 3/6/2010 - 23:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Transfer at Bangkok Airport ... By lilymissfun on 19 Jun 2012 1 1722 20 Jun 2012
How much time for transfer in Bangkok Airport? ... By ejiana on 4 Jun 2006 2 2488 5 Jun 2006
Bangkok Airport Train ... By scorch on 24 Mar 2011 9 2762 25 Mar 2011
Hualumpong train station Vs. Bangkok Airport for storage? ... By translasian on 21 Aug 2006 0 2413 21 Aug 2006
How to go fro Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong train station ... By ilovetravelling on 13 Dec 2010 11 31155 10 Jul 2014
SZB-KUL Airport Transfer ... By MichelleWright on 11 Nov 2010 1 4883 11 Nov 2010
hotel airport transfer ... By amylou on 7 Apr 2010 6 1969 1 Sep 2010
Airport transfer from LCCT K/L ... By ChrisM48 on 18 Sep 2011 1 1514 18 Sep 2011
Airport Transfer Time ... By pblackstock on 1 Jun 2010 0 1667 1 Jun 2010
Transfer times from BKK Suvarnabhumi to Hualamphong Train Station ... By MoreAdventures on 3 Jan 2014 8 694 6 Jan 2014