Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

plan it out? or just go with the flow...?

• jaclynt

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2010
    Location Canada

Hey guys!

I'm doing a 4 week volunteer trip in Thailand beginning on July 9. We're spending our 4th week in Koh Phangan, then I have 2 weeks in Thailand before I fly home to Canada on the 18th of August.

As I have 2 weeks without a plan, I was just thinking of sticking to the islands - sticking around in Koh Phangan and visiting the neighboring Samui and Tao - probably jumping back and forth, back to Phangan for the moon parties, or leaving altogether if I can't stand the parties anymore ;)

I realise that the following Full Moon party is on the 23rd(?) of August, which probably means that accommodations will be booked, or at the very least, hiked up in prices. And I'm looking for decent, affordable, fun and safe hostels that will allow me to meet other backpackers.

Is it better to book in advance, despite not having a set plan, or is it safe to go with the flow? (I'm the type of traveller who would much rather just go with whatever I feel like on the given day).

#1 Posted: 2/6/2010 - 15:08

• Advertisement

• ThailandTra-
    velPlan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2010

Go with the flow. get to Haad Rin at least 2 days before the full moon party and stay on sunset beach which is still close to the party but a good escape when it all gets too much. You will be able to find somewhere to stay 2 or 3 days before the party no worries.

As to what to do with your 2 weeks in Thailand before flying home, it would be a shame to miss out seeing some of the beauty Thailand holds away from the islands. If you not keen on travelling too far, head over to Khao Sok National park where you can stay in the jungle, ride on an elephant and see a really alternative and stunning scene. Just a couple of hours west of Bangkok Kanchanuburi is really worth a visit. You can stay on a floating hut on the river Kwai, swim in the Erawan waterfalls, or take a trip on the Death Railway, (built by POWS)

Have fun!!

#2 Posted: 3/6/2010 - 23:19

• jaclynt

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2010
    Location Canada

Actually, I'll be spending my first week in Thailand in Kanchanaburi, which I'm really excited about! I've heard great things. The following two weeks are spent in Sangkhla Buri near the Burmese border, where I'll be working in an orphanage. The last week of the organised trip is in Koh Phangan. I only have 2 weeks to myself afterwards and I'm really not big on moving around all that much -- when I travel, I'm the type that would much rather spend at the very least one week in any given place.

But thank you so much! I feel reassured knowing now that I don't have to plan too far in advance for the islands.

#3 Posted: 4/6/2010 - 03:24

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 50

Jaclynt - you'll be travelling with Real Gap and Starfish, right? Or perhaps i-to-i? I thought so from your other post about malaria tablets - you'll have an awesome time, and your coordinators will be able to give you loads of advice for onward travel at the end of your programme! Have fun!

#4 Posted: 5/6/2010 - 16:29

• jaclynt

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2010
    Location Canada

Guilty as charged ;) i-to-i, that is. The price is pretty steep, but the idea of backpacking around the south east alone, while never having been to Asia before, felt pretty daunting (I've only ever backpacked around Europe... and with a large group of friends).

Thanks so much! Have a great summer

#5 Posted: 6/6/2010 - 13:01

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 50

Haha no shame in it! I went with Real Gap the first time I went to Thailand, and like you hadn't been to Asia before. They then connected with another company in Thailand, but now both Real Gap and i-to-i connect with Starfish, so you'll get a lovely mix of people from around the world. It's a lovely lovely way to get a first feel for SE Asia, and it really left me loving the region and feeling able to go back under my own steam. Sangkhlaburi is a particularly fab place, and a fantastic addition to the programme that's only come in since they switched over to Starfish. I've got lots of friends who work with Starfish, and I was out in Sangkhlaburi visiting them in April - so am very jealous and am sure you'll have an ace time! Actually, I'll be out there from July 6th myself and in Sangkhlaburi for at least the first week or so, so may well bump into you! If not, have a great trip!

#6 Posted: 6/6/2010 - 20:34

• rachelle23

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2010

Thailand is a great place to explore and can be done very cheaply.

Enjoy your trip!

#7 Posted: 8/6/2010 - 11:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travelling friends from September - no plan, just go with the flow ... By Scarlettos on 20 Aug 2011 11 2398 8 Sep 2011
23M travelling Thailand with a 'go with the flow' plan Sept 11 ... By jayK88 on 29 Aug 2011 3 1239 6 Sep 2011