Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Plane or Train?

• Carrelas

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2010

I am landing in BKK on July 7 and heading out immediately to Koh Tao. Which way would be best to travel?

Taking a Flight to Suret Thani then ferry to koh tao

Or,

Train to chumphon and ferry to Koh Tao

Thanks in advance for any advice

#1 Posted: 2/6/2010 - 19:54

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Depends how tight your schedule/budget are.

I'd prefer to take the train to see some more of the countryside.

#2 Posted: 2/6/2010 - 23:53

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I'd be tempted to take the train to Chumphon for this trip too. If you get the chance for an overnight in Chumphon, there is a good little night market with lots of fun food choices.

Where are you heading after Ko Tao? Is it back to Bangkok or continuing south? Cheers.

#3 Posted: 3/6/2010 - 04:02

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You don't say what time your flight arrives. Is there a convenient connecting flight to Surat Thani ? Bear in mind that if you fly to Surat Thani the ferry trip will take longer and be more expensive than it is from Chumphon . Check that there's a ferry connection with the flight too.

Most ferries to Ko Tao from Chumphon leave at 7am. The train you need to catch leaves Hualumphong railway station at 19.30 and generally gets into Chumphon around 5am. Trains south ALWAYS arrive later than the timetable says so ignore the official 03.47 arrival time written on your ticket. Book the train in advance as the sleepers are usually full. More information about trains here.

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Southern%20Thailand

If you arrive in Chumphon without a ferry ticket, no worries, even at 4am there will be ferry company agents selling boat tickets on the station platform. Ferry tickets include transport from town to the piers and buses start leaving the train station at around 6am.

If you want to get a later ferry then the Lomphraya catamaran also has a 1pm departure. You need to be in Chumphon before midday to catch that one.

There's also a slow night ferry leaving Chumphon about midnight. I've never used it myself but I think it arrives on Ko Tao very early in the morning and passengers can sleep on deck on mattresses.

#4 Posted: 3/6/2010 - 13:29

• duanea

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2010

I am flying to Bangkok on 18th June and also want to get the train from Bangkok to Chumphon but am a bit worried now as we did not book tickets in advance and a lot of the forums have said that the trains will be full up when we arrive. Our flight gets into Bangkok at 6.40am on 19th June so we were hoping to get the 14.45 train to Chumphon. Does anyone know is it likely that this will be booked up? And if so what should we do? The bus timetables seem a bit hard to read e.g. different sites say different times!

Thanks!

#5 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 20:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hue to Hanoi - train or plane? ... By dav2205 on 8 Jul 2013 1 2010 9 Jul 2013
Chiang Mai to Laos train or plane? ... By TommyKay on 12 Jan 2012 18 24953 3 Sep 2014
travel between Hanoi and Hoi An, train or plane ... By AWUQ on 5 Jan 2012 10 11065 19 Jan 2012
best way to go from surat thani to malaysia? train/bus or plane ... By matimulinaris on 22 Aug 2009 2 9855 23 Aug 2009