Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Hua Hin - worth the trip

• LGR_2010

Joined Travelfish
    2nd April, 2010

I'll be arriving in Bangkok in Sept this year.

Was thinking about taking a trip down to a nearby beach area - would it be worth taking a trip to Hua Hin beach and staying there overnight- is the beach/place nice?

What's the train ride from Bangkok to Hua hin like - sounds all adventurous taking the train but not sure if it's comfy even though prices appear fairly cheap.

Also, any decently priced places to stay there? (I looked up on baan talay Dao resort seemed nice online).

Any help or advice would be great..!

#1 Posted: 3/6/2010 - 12:22

• Advertisement

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Nice beach no doubt, but it will be relatively quiet during september.

#2 Posted: 3/6/2010 - 18:48

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I used to live in Ban Khao Takiab a little south of Hua Hin about 10 years ago. Back then I thought the beach at Hua Hin was mediocre. Of course, it all depends on what one thinks constitutes a good beach.

Hua Hin is a very busy foreign and Thai tourist destination. It's okay, but I wouldn't recommend it. Having said that, the night market is pretty good, and there are some amazing seafood restaurants.

Pranburi is a decent place with a better beach area, as is Ban Saphan Yai and Prachuap Khiri Khan. These places are far less busy, less expensive, and less developed, but still have a bit of an expat scene and tourist infrastructure. You could also go to Khao Sam Roi Yot and get a place there. It's a National Park and the beach and landscape are spectacular.

FYI, I experienced very violent tropical storms in that area during September, which was often accompanied by severe flooding which shutdown the roads and railways for several days at a time.

If you do go to Hua Hin, the train ride is okay. Depending on which train you take the trip will be between 3-5 hours. I always preferred the train to the bus.

Wherever you go, enjoy.

#3 Posted: 4/6/2010 - 01:24

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

By the way, here's a Bangkok Post article on the area ...

Bangkok Post Article

#4 Posted: 4/6/2010 - 01:29

• LGR_2010

Joined Travelfish
    2nd April, 2010

Thanks for the great tips and info on the place Tilapia!

AbgAcid - quiet can be good. Better than it being super crowded..!

LGR

#5 Posted: 4/6/2010 - 10:47

• RotPickup

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2008
    Total reviews: 35

I have just been there; by 3 in the afternoon there were about 30 foreigners on a beach about 6km long. In the restaurants in the evening you could find some more people but it is very very quiet and may be still the same when you arrive in September.

#6 Posted: 4/6/2010 - 19:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.