Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Need advice on travel plans

• dswope01

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2010

Hi All,

I'm trying to plan a 23 day trip to South East Asia. What I’ve figured out so far is that with the limited amount of time I really won’t be able to visit too many countries. So this is what I have so far.

Singapore 8/12-8/15
    Melaka 8/15-8/17
    Penang 8/17-8/19
    Langkawi 8/19-8/22
    Koh Samui 8/23
    koh Phangan 8/24 - 8/26
    Koh Samui 8/26-8/28
    Bangkok 8/29-9/3

Here are my worries:
    Am I staying too many days at beaches?
    Am I missing something that is a must see?
    Are the # days at each location OK?

The only thing that is a must is to make it to the full moon party on 8/24, outside of that it’s all open. I don’t need to even fly into Singapore if need be and 9/3 departure date is open.
    I’ll be happy for any input!

Thank you!!

Dae

#1 Posted: 6/6/2010 - 00:47

• Advertisement

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

"Am I staying too many days at beaches?"

Yes, I think so but I am an old fart - sort of. You can get a tan just walking around this part of Asia without being at a beach. You don't want to waste a lot of time in airports or going and coming from airports or on buses, etc.

Sometimes you relax more and have a nicer time just going with the flow and not being so structured other than when you arrive and when you fly home.

With Koh Phangan so important I would guess that you are quite young. Otherwise hanging around with a lot of drunk and drugged out teenagers can be a little tiring after awhile.

Money wise Singapore will be the most expensive place for hotels. Malaysia and Thailand will have cheaper places to stay at. If you ever need any recommendations for hotel don't forget to mention how much you want to spend on a room.

For Thailand see if you can fit in Chiang Mai and see some of the things that make Thailand unique. You get a whole new look at Thailand up north.

By the way, you can take a train all the way from Singapore to Bangkok or back too. Just in case you want to do something different.

Enjoy your trip.

#2 Posted: 6/6/2010 - 10:45

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You don't say how you are planning on getting from Langkawi to Samui. It's a long way!

Personally I'd skip Samui, just go straight to Ko Phangan and stay there a bit longer...after the party you could chill out for a few days on a beach that's nicer than Had Rin.

As #2 says, you don't really need to plan so much. You won't need to book accommodation in advance (except for the Full Moon Party).

#3 Posted: 6/6/2010 - 14:36

• rachelle23

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2010

Make an itinerary of travel for your schedule and activities.

#4 Posted: 8/6/2010 - 11:37

• yogakhaolak

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2010

I agree. I suggest you stick with Langkawi and Koh Phangan and skip Samui all together and just spend more time on Koh Phangan.
    And yes Langkawi is a long way to Koh Phangan (or Samui). You may need to break it up somewhere. Basically if you leave the 23rd you will spend the entire day travelling. You may need to spend a night in Hat Yai and then head on early the next day...There is a night ferry at 10pm which you may be able to make. Otherwise you will need to be in Surat no later than 4:15pm if you want to catch the last ferry.
    Surat is approx 5 hours from Hat Yai.

#5 Posted: 9/6/2010 - 09:26

• dswope01

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2010

Thank you for everyone's reply!

So I've change my itinerary a bit. Here it is:

Destination Date Transport Accomadation
    Singapore 8/12-8/15 Plane Hotel Reservation
    Melaka 8/15-8/17 Train Wing it
    Penang 8/17-8/19 Train Wing it
    Langkawi 8/19-8/22 Train Wing it
    Koh Phangan 8/23-8/27 ? Hotel Reservation
    Bangkok 8/27-8/30 Plane? Hotel Reservation
    Kanchanaburi 8/30-8/31 Bus ?
    Chiang Mai 8/31-9/2 ? ?
    Hong Kong 9/2-9/6 Plane Hotel Reservation
    South Korea 9/6-9/30 Plane Wing it

Now here are my questions:
    * Are my transport methods possibe?
    * Should I see either Melaka or Penang or is it worth to visit both places?
    * Are my plans for Accomodations OK?
    * How do I get from Langkawi to Koh Phang? If I do break it up where should I visit between Langkawi and Koh Phang?
    * I would like to visit Chiang Mai but do really have the time to travel there? If so how do I get there from Kanchanaburi?
    * Dates to Hong Kong and South Korea are not fixed but should I make my plane reservations in advance? I was thinking of purchasing the airpass from Cathay or another Asian Airlines
    * Will I have any issue border crossing Singapore-Malaysia-Thialand?
    Am I over planning here?

Thank you all,

Dae

#6 Posted: 18/6/2010 - 09:09

• dswope01

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2010

I picked Langkawi over Phuket and Phi Phi because I read it was a better beach city. Is this correct?

#7 Posted: 18/6/2010 - 09:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Advice needed - Long term travel plans! ... By adammcintyre on 4 Jul 2012 16 4133 8 Aug 2012