Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Which Island/Beach in July?

• ambee124

Joined Travelfish
    27th February, 2010
    Total reviews: 2

I'm off to Thailand in July and was originally planning to go to Ko Lanta - but I have been reading that most places are closed and no one bothers to clean the beaches?

We wanted to go to Ko Lanta because it seemed a lot less touristy than other places but doesn't sound so appealing if these descriptions are accurate!

So where could we find an island in the South that's a little livelier (and cleaner?) in July without being heaving with tourists? I'm not to fussed about the weather conditions unless it's solid rain all day!

Cheers

#1 Posted: 7/6/2010 - 21:57

• Advertisement

• rachelle23

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2010

A friend of mine went in Ko Lanta last August 2009 and found there was nothing open, no restaurants open and the beach was so quiet. I'm not sure if July is also low peak season.

Any feedback from last year visit?

#2 Posted: 8/6/2010 - 11:17

• chuckie

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2010

From August the west coast gets the southwest monsoon, so many business go quiet then.
    However, on the east coast Koh Phangan (and Samui and Koh Tao) gets excellent weather then as the gulf of Thailand gets a high pressure system sitting on it.

I'd recommend staying on the East coast of Koh Phangan: Say either Thong Nai Pan Noi or Thong Nai Pan Yai. Both have a wide range accommodation from cheap bungalows THB 500 (no aircon) to expensive hotels.
    Another rustic option is Treehouse at Than Sadet. Private beach for THB 500, but quite isolated.

#3 Posted: 8/6/2010 - 14:24

• jeremybrstl

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2010

Thailand has lots of beautiful beach. There is always a variety on each island if you go looking for it, but below is a quickie summary:

Koh Samui - Large and very touristy (Lamai Beach, Lamai Beach, Chaweng Beach)
    Koh Phangan - Haad Rin is beach party central! (Haad Rin)
    Koh Tao - Cheapest scuba around and nice small island
    Krabi/Railay - beautiful, rock climbing heaven, expensive (Railay Beach, Phi Phi Island, Ao Nang, Koh Lanta)
    Koh Phi Phi - gorgeous, small, expensive, great diving
    Koh Lanta - large, fairly quiet, Long beach is the best beach
    Phuket - busy, loads of package tourists and vacationers (Patong Beach, Karon Beach, Kata Beach)
    Koh Pu - very small and quiet, tree house bungalows
    Koh Chang - Nice beaches, lots of tourists from Bangkok (White Sand Beach )

For accommodation in Thailand , checkout: www.excitehotels.com

#4 Posted: 8/6/2010 - 17:43

• yogakhaolak

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2010

You may still be okay in July. The real rain doesn't hit until Aug/Sept. There will be rain in July, but not all day everyday.
    Many places do close, but many don't.
    If you are worried, then try Koh Phangan or Koh Tao. The monsoon doesn't start on those islands until October.

#5 Posted: 9/6/2010 - 09:13

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Just got back from Koh Phi Phi and it POURED mornings, afternoons, and nights. Weather in Phuket was slightly better. It depends on your luck, but low season is great as it's so quiet. I paid 500B for a fan bungalow on Long Beach, Phi Phi.

#6 Posted: 9/6/2010 - 13:47

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

July?.. Stay awy from the west coast. Instead try the east coast islands. Koh Phangan or Koh Samui. You will not regret it.

#7 Posted: 10/6/2010 - 12:44

• ambee124

Joined Travelfish
    27th February, 2010
    Total reviews: 2

Thanks so much for the replies. From advice I'm looking into Ko Phangan. What beaches do people recommend? Looking for a fairly relaxed place and am leaning towards Thong Nai Pan Yai (Thanks for the recommendation chuckie).

#8 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 00:16

• yogakhaolak

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2010

Thong Nai Pan is the best place to be on Koh Phangan.

#9 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 11:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Best Island/ Beach to visit in July? ... By jeanick on 24 Jun 2008 2 8072 24 Jun 2008