Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

BKK the krabi then?????? (3months to spare)

• rozandwill

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2010

hi iam flying out to bangkok on saterday an have a cheap airasia flight out to krabi on the monday night, does anyone have any suggestions about where to travel to next, ive been looking up loads of places but would like some advice from someone who has done this first hand and can tell me there experiance of travelling, i was thinking kuala lumpa and then singapore but i hear they cities can be costly, also i would like to escape the dreaded southwest monsoon so would i be better heading up ko sami direction???

any info welcome btw, relevent or irrelevent to the post!!!

P.S has anyone stayed at the rikka inn on khao san road before?? what was it like? am i better getting a taxi to it or bus??

#1 Posted: 9/6/2010 - 07:26

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Malaysia is a bit more expensive than Thailand, and generally the budget accommodations are not as good. Expect to pay about 30 Ringgit for a fan room with a shared bathroom in the backpacker areas in Kuala Lumpur. Admission to some of KL's best attractions is actually free -- Petronas Twin Towers, Batu Caves, etc. Malaysia also has great jungles to explore if you like nature stuff.

Singapore, on the other hand, can be expensive. A dorm bed in a hostel costs about $20- $25 SGD and admission fees aren't cheap either -- $20 to the Zoo, $30 for the Singapore Flyer, $10 to museums, etc. Drinking is also quite expensive -- about $5 SGD for a bottle of Tiger beer at a "hawker centre" local eatery, to about $15 SGD for a bottle of beer at a nightclub. One redeeming thing about Singapore is that the public transit is excellent, so you can get everywhere in the city by bus/subway.

For Bangkok, I haven't stayed at the Rikka Inn before, but if you're traveling solo and on a budget I'd suggest going with the airport bus. It's 150B, departs very regularly (every 20 - 30 min.) and will take you right to Koh San. A taxi will cost around 350 B.

I was just in Krabi last weekend (June 6-8) and it rained A LOT. I love low season because it's so quiet, but it rained all day, every day and I didn't get to do any of the boat trips or snorkeling I wanted to on Koh Phi Phi. I stayed at Long Beach (Hat Yao) and paid 500B for a fan bungalow. Now, it doesn't always rain that much, it totally depends on your luck. For more good weather than bad weather, go to the east coast like Koh Phangan or Koh Tao.

#2 Posted: 9/6/2010 - 20:09

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Never been to Malaysia so no tips about that.

For rikka inn, as you are saying that you are on a budget and thinking of stayin in rikka inn, that's something I wouldn't do. Rikka Inn is an expensive place to stay compared to other backpackers hostels and guesthouses in BKK near Kao san.

Like the post above, taxi is about 350 Baht and bus is 150. just take it to Kao san road and look around for accomodation, there's more then enough and you'll find whatever you need.

For avoiding the rainy season, I would suggest going to Vietnam to be fair. Rainy season skips a lot of places in 'Nam, escpecially those who are surrounded by mountains! Depends on your time schedule and money ofcourse.

#3 Posted: 9/6/2010 - 21:40

• rozandwill

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2010

the reason i was going to stay at the rikka inn was to get over the initial jetlag, however we are no staying at the khao san park resort, does anyone know any thing about this place?? from then after its budget hostels all the way

i have a flight booked for krabi on the monday night, we were thinking about heading there for a bit then over to the east coast for the full moon party etc!! would like to know what this is like? after that we thought of travelling to kuala lumper and only staying 1-2 nights and catching a cheap air asia flight over to ho-chi ming city then travelling from the south to hanoi in the north (something the yanks never acheived :)!!! ) does any one know how hard this is to do ?? timescale and budget would be helpful

p.s what is the bus number i get to the khao san park resort? and if i opt to get a taxi are the taxis regulated by the airport i.e is there a set fee from the airport to the centre of the city so as the taxi drivers cant rip you off

#4 Posted: 9/6/2010 - 22:00

• marky83

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Head to Malaysia, go to the Perhentian Islands, then down to Cameron Highland, Taman Negara before a few days in KL. It is a fairly common route but still very nice.

#5 Posted: 9/6/2010 - 23:07

• rozandwill

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2010

is this done by train or bus marky? how much?

#6 Posted: 9/6/2010 - 23:41

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

allright, vietnam time schedule.

Ho chi minh: just a few days, visit the gucci tunnels and some museums around so normally about 3-4 days should do the trick. I stayed for about 7 days but don't mind that cause I had loads of time.

Ho chi minh to Mui né, about 8 hours by bus, you don't have to stop here, cause there's really nothing to do but it's fun to rent a motorbike and drive a little back down to phan thiet (it's a nice town).

Then on to Nha Trang, my favorite place in Vietnam. Really super long nice beautifull beach. party town as well.
    About 4 days here should get you a boot trip to the islands, a day at the waterpark, a day to the waterfalls in the mountains,...
    I stayed here for about 1.5 month beceause I just couldn't leave the place.

From here own back further to hoi an (you could stop at Hué if you want, nice place but wasn't anything for me so just went on)
    Hoi an is really nice as well. beautifull beaches. nice little town with some bars. defenetly have to stop here!

then on to hanoi and do a halong bay trip of course and check out hanoi city!

I'd say if you're on a time schedule: you could manage this in about 3 weeks, even less then that.
    If you have time enough: about 3 months would give you an awesome time !!! haha
    the travels itself between the city's and towns is easy, just book a bus (tourist offices are available everywhere) or the train(I'd prefer the busses). Flying is possible as well and cheap but then you might miss some nice places in between

have fun

For BKK I don't know the busnumber. there is a taxi stand at the airport but you still have to arrange the price in the taxi, best thing to do is just tell him to put the meter on or else just get out and take another one. If you say you'll give 350 baht they normally find it ok cause they'll make about 20-30 baht profit on that. not worth barganing for though.

#7 Posted: 10/6/2010 - 04:35

• rozandwill

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2010

cheers

#8 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 04:51

• marhas

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2008

If you plan to go to Vietnam, start in Hanoi, because this town - especially the old town - is much more vibrant than Ho Chi Minh City. Get an idea: http://treasuresofvietnam.blogspot.com/2009/09/hanoi-impressions.html . If you go to Halong Bay think about not taking the usual two- or three-day trip with a Junk, but visit Cat Ba Island. Ho to go there: http://treasuresofvietnam.blogspot.com/2009/09/islands-caves-and-more-in-lan-ha-bay.html . If you plan to go to Hoi An don't miss Hue, the town with palaces and tombs of the old emperors. See some impressions: http://treasuresofvietnam.blogspot.com/2009/10/hue-impressions.html

#9 Posted: 14/6/2010 - 17:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.