Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Anti-malaria tablets, I need help!

• torilou

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2010

My boyfriend and I are travelling from Bangkok Airport to the Aranyaprathet border, to Siem Reap, Phnom Penh, down to Kep and back, then through to Vietnam, around the South, and then back to Bangkok.

I've read a lot of information and need to find out if its right that I should be taking Malarone? We have Chloroquine and Proguanil from a previous trip that didn't go to plan, and I had always though I'd take those, but apparently there is some resistance to Chloroquine in parts of the aforementioned countries?

I need help!

Tori

#1 Posted: 10/6/2010 - 15:44

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

There's chloroquine resistance almost everywhere in the world now and Cambodia has one of the worst multi-resistance problems in the world so it's definitely a waste of time taking it with you.

Malaria in Cambodia is mostly in very remote villages, not places tourists go. Malarone isn't really necessary but using mosquito repellents is....mainly because of the risk of catching dengue fever, not malaria.

If you REALLY want to take prophylaxis then an low cost alternative to Malarone is doxycycline, readily available in pharmacies locally and very cheap.

No reported resistance to doxycycline yet AFAIK but you have to take it regularly and according to the instructions. It's too slow acting to be used as a cure too.

The vast majority of expats and travellers with previous experience of SE Asia don't bother taking any anti-malarials. The only place I've ever actually seen tourists with malaria was in central Sulawesi (Indonesia).

#2 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 00:52

• yogakhaolak

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2010

No need for Malaria tablets where you are going. All of those areas are pretty safe. As SBE mentioned, you only need it in very remote areas. And even then, the pills are not 100% effective.

#3 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 11:03

• duanea

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2010

Also Doxycycline makes your skin sensitive to the sun so you can get burned really easily!

#4 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 21:03

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Malarone and doxycycline as anti malarials compared.

http://www.welltravelledclinics.co.uk/leaflets/DoxycyclineandMalaroneProphylaxisV203.03.08.pdf

They say only 3% of people have problems with sun sensitivity and that a sunscreen can be used to prevent this. They also point out (in bold print) that no anti-malarial is 100% effective.

BTW Malarone needs to be taken at the same time of day and with some kind of dietary fat to be absorbed properly. Skimmed milk won't do (not that you can find fresh milk that easily in the tropics anyway)

I really wouldn't bother taking either drug ...if you do develop fever symptoms then you need to get a blood test to find out whether it is actually malaria. It's more likely to be dengue and there's no specific treatment or prevention for that. If it is malaria then you need to find out what type it is because the treatment isn't the same for all types.

#5 Posted: 12/6/2010 - 05:07

• Turf

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2010

Having studied anti-malarials as part of my course, I would recommend taking them during your stay in Cambodia. Although the risk is minimal, it is better to be safe than sorry, as I have known of patients who have suffered from malaria, and it was not pleasant. As YogaKhaolak said, no anti malarials are 100% effective, and they're actually better at enabling the symptoms of Malaria to have a quicker onset, hence allowing quicker treatment.

In my opinion, you should go for Doxycycline, its cheap, works perfectly well, and has the similar side effects as Malarone etc (depends upon the patient). Only downside is that it reduces the efficacy of the contraceptive pill. So, the barrier method must be used. And if your in the UK, you'll have to contact your doctor to get it.

#6 Posted: 13/6/2010 - 08:36

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

What course are you studying Turf?

I lived in Africa for many years and I've had malaria and so has everyone else in my family so I personally know what it's like.

We all took anti-malarials ... and we all caught malaria anyway.

My partner had undiagnosed falciparum for over six months and very nearly died... blood tests kept coming up negative until he stopped taking chloroquine. (At the time that was the WHO recommended drug for prophylaxis).

Are there any studies showing whether doxy or Malarone interfere with blood test diagnosis?

#7 Posted: 13/6/2010 - 22:17

• sparkhog

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2010

Hi,

We're coming to Thailand in August for 3 weeks, Travelling to Bangkok > Ko Phangan, Ko Tao - maybe a bit of mainland, and possibly the Angkor Wat for 1-2 days. What do pepople think about taking malria tablets before and during? As the risk is apparently low. We may be going into the jungle a bit, in Phangan.

Regards,

Mark Williams

#8 Posted: 17/6/2010 - 03:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
anti- malaria tablets really needed? ... By Jolinde on 22 Jun 2010 3 3232 25 Jun 2010
Would you get anti-malaria and anti-rabies preventative treatments for Luang Prabang? ... By EdwardTrunk on 15 Jan 2014 4 1816 19 Jan 2014
Anti maleria tablets ... By craigcraig on 28 Nov 2013 7 1390 8 Jan 2014
Malaria & anti-Malarials --> Do I really need them? ... By tatham on 10 May 2010 10 5284 15 May 2010
anti malaria not usually advised in Thailand ... By tinacrossman on 24 May 2012 4 1930 26 May 2012
doxycycline (Anti-Malaria) in Hanoi ... By CharlieP on 26 Jun 2010 0 2614 26 Jun 2010
malaria tablets necessary? ... By traceyincapetown on 1 Feb 2011 6 3817 3 Feb 2011
malaria tablets ... By cj5892 on 23 Jun 2008 37 13853 7 Jul 2009
where do I take malaria tablets? ... By chicoelnino on 6 Apr 2011 9 7351 24 Apr 2011
Malaria Tablets ... By elisak on 7 Dec 2006 12 16721 14 Feb 2007