Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

2 weeks on the beach: Andaman or Gulf - or both? Opinions appreciated!

• krisandleo

Joined Travelfish
    26th October, 2006

Hi = My husband and I have 2 weeks of our honeymeoon to spend in southern Thailand at the beginning of January and we can't decide where to go.

Between Krabi/KohPhi Phi/Ko yao Yai/Noi and Ko Pha Ngan/Koh Tao, which would 1) be most recommended 2) best this time of year?

Is it worth doing both? How significant is travel time if we fly from Phuket to Samui and catch the boat to Koh Tao?

We are intrested in a little bit of snorkelling, some diving, and nothing too resorty.

Thanks!
    Kris

#1 Posted: 3/11/2006 - 11:09

• Advertisement

• 4015c

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2006

I would think that with your desires koh tao would be your best bet, it has quite a number of dive resorts but is no where near as touristed as Phi Phi and some spots in Krabi. That said, Phi Phi has some good diving as well as some secluded places away from ao dolam and tonsai that are much more laid back and for picture postcard perfect is hard to beat. I have snorkled in Koh Tao and can vouch for its weather in Jan and the beauty of it as well. the boat ride to Koh Tao is about an hour and a half or so depending on the boat and the flight from Phuket won't take very long. If you are in the Phuket area you might want to check out Khao Lak, very laid back with some excellent dive and snorkel trips to the similans. I got my dive certificate there and just loved it, that was pre tsunami but I will be back this Jan with my family to do a little diving. As to what would be best for time of year all would be equally good as to weather concerns being peak of dry season. hope this helps. Cheers

#2 Posted: 3/11/2006 - 15:50

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Kris,

I tend to enjoy wandering on my trips, so I'd lean towards hitting both sides of the peninsula with my two weeks. I guess that depends on how much stuff you have to drag around with you and if you enjoy the getting there part of being there (which I do).

Do you like to see lots of places or are you more into settling into one spot for awhile?

#3 Posted: 6/11/2006 - 22:30

• wayne

Joined Travelfish
    1st February, 2004

First week of january the weather in the gulf side can still be a bit dodgy with rainy season on the way out. But the andaman side should be fantastic. Both sides however offer quite different experiences.

Diving is still best in the Andaman side, if you are looking at something not too resorty on that side then you have Koh Yao Noi which is in the middle of Phang Nga Bay, a very quiet island but scenic and should be able to organise some boat trips and dive trips from there. http://www.lomlae.com/ is a nice bungalow place, I have yet to visit it but i know the owners from their previous accom. From all reports it sounds beautiful.

Phuket is still nice and definately still has some of thailands most beautiful beaches (just not Patong), not everywhere there is resorty, but you will be there in high season so most places will be busy.

Krabi particularly Railey Beach area is fantastic scenery, more laidback night life on the beach and opportunities to dive from there

If you decide the gulf side, then Koa Tao is beautiful, plenty of accomodation choices, many people are there to dive. Beaches vary in style and quality. hat Sairee is the busiest with young punters out and about day and night and a wide choice of accomodation. My favourite beach is Ao Luuk, but there is only two bungalow resorts there.

Koh Pha Ngan is still one of the cheapest and laid back of the three large islands in the gulf and well worth visiting just for pure relaxation.

Hope this helps

#4 Posted: 7/11/2006 - 20:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
beach in February - Andaman coast vs Gulf ... By adriana_o on 21 Jan 2013 4 2262 22 Jan 2013
Beach In August: Andaman Coast vs. Gulf of Thailand ... By shaka317 on 4 May 2012 2 2459 10 May 2012
Islands: Gulf vs. Andaman Sea ... By Tetso on 17 Jan 2014 4 1171 19 Jan 2014
Gulf or Andaman Sea in June? ... By trudat on 25 Jan 2008 2 2267 26 Jan 2008
Andaman gulf beginning of December ... By Seba on 28 Sep 2009 1 1447 29 Sep 2009
Andaman Sea and Gulf of Thailand Islands ... By TheGoose on 9 Feb 2009 1 3556 10 Feb 2009
heading to HOT Thailand - Andaman vs. Gulf side in May!? ... By jkian on 9 Apr 2011 9 3223 22 Apr 2011
Andaman Wave from Phuket to Koh Pha Ngan - opinions/experiences? ... By chriswotton on 13 Aug 2011 1 1547 14 Aug 2011
Itinerary opinions - 6 weeks in Thailand ... By rooflee on 5 Sep 2010 2 2362 7 Sep 2010
Phu Quoc: Mai House vs Beach Club Input Appreciated! ... By debburdick on 11 Jun 2008 0 2189 11 Jun 2008