Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

From KL to Phuket

• Barracuda

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2010

Hi im planning to travel to Phuket in Oct, 2010.
    Can anyone tell me how to travel from KL. Is there any bus direct to Phuket or i have to travel by bus/train to Hat Yai and then take a bus to Phuket. How much the bus will costs from Hat Yai to Phuket.

Thanks,

Baraccuda

#1 Posted: 16/6/2010 - 19:38

• Advertisement

• catherine25

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2010

Hi

We were looking at doing it the other way round in August! Think the best way it seems is to fly into Krabi or Phuket - we looked on Air Asia and one way flights are about £40!

We would have taken a train or bus but were worried about some of the Southern states in Thailand and have been told to avoid going through them!

#2 Posted: 16/6/2010 - 22:32

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You wuz robbed catherine, just looked and flights are going for about 20 euros (before tax) in mid october. ;-)

In any case it will probably be cheaper to fly than go overland on a bus or train...also you will get a free 30 day stamp (rather than a 15 day one if you go by bus or train).

So unless you really want a very long bus or train ride and an opportunity to see the countryside between KL and Phuket, flying is probably your best option.

#3 Posted: 16/6/2010 - 22:43

• catherine25

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2010

Did you se those on Air Asia?! We havent booked yet, but will be flying that route around the 20th August, so probably will be more expensive then?!

#4 Posted: 17/6/2010 - 22:46

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Yes, Air Asia. The prices vary so check several days if your dates aren't fixed.

#5 Posted: 18/6/2010 - 03:04

• yogakhaolak

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2010

Also try firefly. It is a charter Malaysian airline.
    And yes flying is the best way. Or you can get a train from KL to Hat Yai, and then a bus from there to Phuket. The bus to Phiket should be around 350Baht.
    There are no problems at this border or anywhere you will drive through on this route. It are the SE states that are worrisome.

#6 Posted: 18/6/2010 - 10:02

• Barracuda

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2010

Hi,

Thanks friends for your advice. I think i really need to reschedule my plan again. I've checked the Air Asia and i will costs me about roughly about RM500.00 for two way trip.

Cheers,

Barracuda

#7 Posted: 18/6/2010 - 19:57

• christof

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I have done this trip many times. I still prefer to get the overnight bus from Puduraya bus station in KL to Hat Yai . Normally I take bus company 'Konsortium'

If you are travelling on peak days then you will need to go into the bus station and buy the ticket a couple of days beforeheand.

I normally stay at http://www.redpalm-kl.com/ in Kuala Lumpur. This is run by some Malay friends and I can not say enough good things about them. You definitely have to book this hostel well in advance.

You can get 10.30pm, 11.00pm and 11.30pm buses I think. Doesn't really make much difference which one you get. The price is still 40RM, I think.

The buses are amongst the best in asia. Big seats with a an almost horizontal incline. I find it easy to sleep BUT do take warm clothes with you onto the bus as they like to turn the air con up.

You will arrive at the Thai-Malyasian border about 7am. There is normally a bit of a queue here for passports. On the Malaysian side go into the left hand queue as it goes quicker than the others.

Once across the border let the bus driver know that you want to be dropped off at the Government bus station (Boh-Coh-Saw). Ask him nicely and smile. :) This is important as otherwise they will take you to the company depot in town and then you will be shunted to get a mini bus to Phuket . Nasty.

From Hat Yai bus station you will be able to pick up a bus to Phuket easily. This is about 300 Bt. Not 100% sure on that. It should be around 8 am and there will be quite a few going. The buses in Thailand aren't quite as good as on the Malaysian side but in recent years the air con generally works ok. There is less leg room and less opportunity for seat incline.

Any questions? Good luck!

#8 Posted: 22/6/2010 - 14:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.