Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Wildlife/Wilderness Trekking in Northern Thailand and Laos

• jpleonard20-

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2010

Hello Everybody,

I am a long term reader of the travelfish message boards but this is my first post. Basically, I'm interested in finding out about treks in Northern Thailand and Laos that focus on wilderness or wildlife viewing. I'm not so interested in visiting hill tribes. Nothing against the hill tribes themselves, its just that after two years in Peace Corps I don't really feel like paying for a 2-day cross-cultural exchange. Can anyone give me any advice? My wife and I will be arriving in Bangkok July 21 and will most likely head up to Chaing Mai and gradually make our way to Laos via Huay Xai. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 17/6/2010 - 06:16

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I would say go during the dry season, but you've already planned your timeline. Frankly, trekking through real jungles sucks. There are just too many things in the jungle that want to bite or sting you. I climbed a mountain here once during the dry season, and one attempt in the rainy season. In the rainy season it just wasn't doable anymore. Too many bees and hornets, too many snakes, too many scorpions, WAY too much vegetation.

#2 Posted: 17/6/2010 - 17:41

• jeremybrstl

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2010

Trekking in Northern Thailand is an unforgettable experience and Chiang Mai is certainly the trekking hub. The mountainous interior of the region, lush tropical vegetation and intriguing hill tribe villages which act as your hosts all add up to a fantastic experience among unspoilt nature. In fact you need to escape the tourist crowds of Chiang Mai then trekking is the prefect solution. If you are reasonably fit and don't mind 'roughing it' a little, this is a very worthwhile experience. The area is completely safe and the trekking is generally well organised, with registered guides leading you down well worn routes.

#3 Posted: 17/6/2010 - 18:13

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

As long as you are prepared to pay decent money for a private trekking guide ($50/pax/day) you can organise a trek which emphasises your specific preferences. There's a guy right down my street here in Chiang Mai that has been doing private treks like this for many years - http://www.pooh-ecotrekking.com/Pooh.htm. He offers a 3-day trek for about $170/person based on two pax for example. It might involve a night in a village but how much time you spend there vs. on the trails nature-spotting and such is up to you. Email him at remimin@loxinfo.co.th and find out what can be arranged.

#4 Posted: 18/6/2010 - 00:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
landscape and trekking in northern laos ... By gawe on 7 Jan 2011 5 2934 8 Jan 2011
Anybody knows a good route for independent trekking in Northern Laos? ... By vlasov on 28 Dec 2009 14 4856 5 Mar 2012
Which trekking in northern Thailand? ... By Harry05 on 5 Nov 2007 0 1967 5 Nov 2007
Trekking in Northern Thailand ? ... By boleslav on 2 Sep 2009 12 3132 5 Sep 2009
Trekking in Northern Thailand. ... By humpdawg on 20 May 2009 5 2462 12 Jun 2009
Trekking in Northern Laos (Vieng Phouka and Muang Khua) ... By dmlid on 23 Jan 2009 10 6976 30 Dec 2010
The northern thailand champion trekking ... By traveltep on 6 Nov 2009 0 1806 6 Nov 2009
Trekking advies northern Thailand ... By Leonw86 on 19 Nov 2012 7 1998 23 Nov 2012
Anyone looking for a northern thailand trekking group? ... By jennigun on 28 Apr 2013 0 1194 28 Apr 2013
Trekking buddies in northern thailand? ... By jennigun on 28 Apr 2013 0 543 28 Apr 2013