Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Shopping in Bangkok

• amlifysio

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2010

My family and I are going to Vietnam this summer. On our way back we have a few days in Bangkok. Having been there several times before, we do know a bit about the shopping opportunities. Formerly we have been a lot to MBK, but this time we would like to try a different place/s. Any suggestions?? My daughters, aged 15, 13 and 10, are mostly into "jeans and clothes in general"-shopping.We will be staying at the Prince Palace Hotel (Bo Be area).

#1 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 00:40

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Platinum Fashion Mall might suit them. It's on Petchaburi Road, near Panthip Plaza and opposite Pratunum. About 1000 small shops entirely devoted to clothes, shoes and fashion accessories.

#2 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 05:25

• shaydan_01

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2009
    Location Australia

If you would like to get out of the shopping mall scene and making your shopping a little bit more of an experience I'd highly recommend a visit to the Chatuchak market. It is basically a huge labyrinthine of around 15,000 stalls and sells every single clothing item you could imagine plus everything else. Clothes there were of the same quality as everywhere else (except obviously for the expensive department stores). It is packed full of people and can be quite hot and crazy but we found it to be extremely fun and I'm sure you're kids will love it. It can be reached by catching the sky train to Moh Chit station.

#3 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 13:25

• amlifysio

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thanks a lot to both of you - SBE and shaydan_01. It gave me some ideas of where to spent a reasonable amount of time (!) with the girls. We might just go for both of your suggestions. Is the Chatuchak Market open every day?

#4 Posted: 25/6/2010 - 10:32

• rachelle23

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2010

Most Bangkok shopping centers are now back in action. Sadly, Central World was burned down by protesters.

#5 Posted: 25/6/2010 - 11:18

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

Chatuchak market is best on weekends, on weekdays only a few sections are open (think plants is one of them...not what your daughters are looking for). but there's also JJ Mall (open daily) next to it - so you could go there on a weekend & start with the outdoor Chatuchak market first from ~9am (when most stalls open) until it gets too hot, then continue shopping indoors in the airconditioned JJ Mall.

both Pratunam & Bo Bae also have large wholesale clothes markets.

for doing serious shopping research in advance:
    http://www.shoppingwebthailand.com/main/en/index.html
    will give you an idea of what's available at Platinum & JJ Mall & also the prices.

#6 Posted: 25/6/2010 - 12:30

• husqvarna

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2009

I also agree with the other posters about Chatuchak mall. Weekends is the only time worth going unless you go inside (refreshing air conditioning). The shopping outside is great fun but you need to have some reliable way to keep track of your daughters. The place is HUGE and very easy to get lost. But that is part of the fun. It definitely heats up after noon so be prepared. Again, the experience is wonderful. Enjoy.

#7 Posted: 7/7/2010 - 00:25

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

If you have the time you could check out shopping on Phetchaburi Road. The soi leading up to the Baiyoke Tower Hotel is full of clothing wholesalers, a regular mini garment center. Many of the street vendors get some of their wares in this area. Up and down Phetchaburi Road you will find many street vendors, small shops and fast food places in this area. One place near the "mini garment center" is the Krung Thong Plaza.
    http://www.krungthong-plaza.com/index_eng.php

In the same area but on the other side of Phetchaburi Road is the Panthip Plaza. If you or your kids have any interest in electronics, DVD's, computers, parts and programs and this is a place to visit. Also in this mall is a small food court.

Good luck.

#8 Posted: 8/7/2010 - 10:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.