Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Location Location Location

• sevananda

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2006

Dear friends,
    I will be traveling to Thailand towards the end of January 07. I will be going to Bangkok, Cha Am and Chiang Mai. I' writing to you because I need to find accommodations in BKK and Cha Am in very specific locations because I will be attending meetings and other activities.

In BKK I need to stay in a hotel or guest house (about 800 to 900 TBH/nt) within walking distance to the Imperial Queens Hotel located at 199 Sukhumvit Soi 22.

In Cha Am I need to stay within walking distance of the Regent Cha Am and the Tipviman Novotel. Here I am looking for a guest house or bungalow or even a hotel for about 900 to 1000 TBH/nt.

In CNX, I'm set there.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Thank You,
    Sevananda

#1 Posted: 4/11/2006 - 10:07

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Sevananda,

Glad to see you got the login to work :-)

A good cheap not tooo far from the Queens Park is the brand new Nanachart Sukhumvit 25 which is on Sukhumvit Soi 25. From there to the Queens park is about a ten minute walk. There's another place closer that I rode past this morning - I'll check it out next day or two and report back...

For Cha Am, I've dropped an email to the researcher who did our Cha Am research - he lives there, so should be able to help! Will let you know.

#2 Posted: 4/11/2006 - 15:06

• sevananda

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2006

Dear Somtam2000,

I have tried sending you a detailed reply about 4 times only to be bounced back to the login page. The issue is still not resolved as i have to go the the activation email to be able to access the website.

Thank you,
    Sevananda

#3 Posted: 5/11/2006 - 04:19

• sevananda

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2006

Dear Somtam2000,

I will attempt once again to send you my failed message in response to yours. (5th attempt)

Thank you for your immediate reply. Allow me please to give you a progress report on my travel plans to Thailand:

BANGKOK (My dates: 23-28Jan07)
    Prior to contacting you yesterday, I had been sending emails to D'Pelican Guest house -900 Baht a night- (which I found in Travelfish) a few times and never got an answer from them. Frustrated, I decide to write to you. To my greatest surprise after 4 or 5 days, today I got and email from them!!!! I went forward and booked my 1st three nites with them. Based upon their website, they seem to be located practically around the corner from the Imperial Queens Park.

Before I go on I want to inform you that I am not a "bar-pub-club-girls" type of traveler, not because I have anything against any of it, but because I rather use my time and money in self-education, discovery and personal growth.

Having said that, I am interested in PEOPLES, CULTURES and SPORTS. During my last 2 nights in the city, I would like to stay in an area where I can absorb the Bangkok experience at its best. I want to be able to visit the places where the REAL BANGKOK THAIS "live and breathe". I want to visit the most important Temples and shrines and I want to see 1 or 2 Royal Palaces. I want to be able to move around easily, access to veggie food and a nice and clean place to rest my head at night. I want to be able to watch a good (not just for tourists) THAI BOXING Match. (Will that be better in Chiang Mai?) Is there a "Little India" in town? If so, where is it?

CHA-AM (My dates: 28Jan-05Feb07)
    I have made "TENTATIVE" reservations at a guest house named "Urs Treff Guesthouse" (-900 Baht a night- with breakfast, sea view, balcony and private bathroom). Sounds good, right? However, I have serious concerns about the place that make me a little uneasy. 2 REASONS:

# 1 When you take a look at their website, it all looks relatively nice. Click on the "Rooms" Icon and you will see a very nice, spacious and very clean room. Scroll down to the bathroom and look at the "shower cabin" you will see a very beautiful, very sexy and very naked Thai girl (the same girl seating on the bed). Now, I do love very beautiful, very sexy and very naked Thai girls and non-Thai girls. The only thing is that I don't want to see them "running around" in the same place or area where I will be staying. Am I being New York paranoid? I mean, I don't want to stay in a sex parlour and that is the impression I get!!!! But I might be totally off base!!!!

#2 The owner Mr. Urs, told me in an email that the guest house is located 1 km away from the Regent Cha-Am, which is not terribly bad. My concern is the following... I have to attend functions at the Regent as early as 4:30 to 5:00 in the morning. In the evening I would be getting out of functions about midnite. Will there be a security issue? As get closer to the guest house will I have to swat "girls" like mosquitoes?

I hope that your contact will be able to provide better and closer options!!!!

CHIANG MAI (my dates: 05-13 Feb07)
    I have a confirmed and paid in full a Deluxe room at the Star Hotel (1180 baths/ night with American Breakfast)> I chose this hotel because it was the closest I could find within walking distance to the Imperial Mae Ping Hotel (where I will also be attending functions). Here in CNX, I would like to do a full day or a 2 trekking. Do you have any suggestions?

Can you suggest the best places for currency exchange in my 3 locations... I really need to s-t-r-e-a-c-h my money!!!

I am most sincerely and wholeheartedly grateful to you for your kind assistance, suggestions and guidance.
    Sevananda

#4 Posted: 5/11/2006 - 05:16

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Sevananda,

I heard back from our man in Cha-am and this is what he had to say:

"The Regent Cha-am is seven km from the Cha-am beach road where the closest accommodation in his range is available. The Tipviman is even further down the road. Casa Papaya is nearby, but it starts in the 2,000B range. That stretch of Petchakasem Rd has nothing going on but the resorts, so cheaper places just don't exist.

He or she will have to pay for a luxury room at one of the three (Tipvimarn, Casa Papaya or Regent) , or stay in Cha-am and take the bus -- there are regular departures from 05:00 to 23:00, about 10B each way, or he could rent a motorbike for 150B per day at the end of Soi Bus Stop at the restaurant on the north side corner"

I saw the picture of the shower at Urs Treff -- very amusing -- I've not heard of the guesthouse though, so have no idea if you'll have to beat the women off with a stick or not... ;-)

Hope that helps

#5 Posted: 5/11/2006 - 11:29

• sevananda

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2006

Dear Somtam2000

Thanks my friend, unless I don't get any other suggestions for Cha-Am from any of other members of Travelfish, I'll will "swat" the girls like mosquitoes.

When you have an extra minute, will it be possible for you to address some of my other concerns?

Gratefully,
    Sevananda

#6 Posted: 5/11/2006 - 14:19

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Sevananda,

Most of what you're asking is already covered elsewhere in the site -- here's some pointers in the right direction below:

"I would like to stay in an area where I can absorb the Bangkok experience at its best. I want to be able to visit the places where the REAL BANGKOK THAIS "live and breathe"."

The Chinatown area could be a good choice... see that portion of the site for accommodation and sight listings. It is also walking distance from Pahurat (Little India)

"I want to visit the most important Temples and shrines and I want to see 1 or 2 Royal Palaces."

Grand Palace, Wat Pho are good starting points- See Bangkok sights section for more information

"I want to be able to watch a good (not just for tourists) THAI BOXING Match. (Will that be better in Chiang Mai?)"

Lumpini Boxing Stadium has bouts every other night - it is the best muay thai in Thailand.

Is there a "Little India" in town?

Yes - Pahurat -- see the Chinatown/Pahurat sections for details.

"I would like to do a full day or a 2 trekking. Do you have any suggestions?"

There's around 123,762,653 trekking agents in Chiang Mai -- see this Trekking feature for some hints on finding a good one.

"Can you suggest the best places for currency exchange in my 3 locations..."

There's kiosks, banks, atms etc all over the shop - the spread of rates in generally pretty minimal.

Hope that helps!

#7 Posted: 6/11/2006 - 06:31

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Oh, and I meant to say, you can get these little toy tennis rackets which are moderately electrified -- they could be handy for your swatting needs :-P

#8 Posted: 6/11/2006 - 06:33

• sevananda

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2006

Thanks Somtam!

Thank you for all your valuable suggestions and I will get a massive supply of those toy tennis rackets, just in case!!! What ever amount is left I will donate to your charitable foundation!!!

I'm hooked (no pun intended) to Travelfish! I'm spending lots of time reading and taking good notes!

Keep up the fine work!

#9 Posted: 6/11/2006 - 12:12

• sevananda

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2006

Soomtam the Great,

I've decide to stay at the Thai Cozy House the last 3 nights of my stay in BKK.
    Do you think that is a good choice for a guy who wants to absorb as much a BKK "culture" as possible? Or is there a more interesting area? Accessibility by public transport is essential! (My 1st 2nts will be at the D'Pelican Guest House in the Sukhumvit area for the reasons i told you before.)

Once again, I sincerely THANK YOU!

Sevananda

#10 Posted: 8/11/2006 - 01:36

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
location at Koh Tao ... By petrouschka on 29 May 2007 4 1817 9 Jun 2007
KK: well location accommodation? ... By amz155 on 18 May 2011 1 1316 18 May 2011
how quickly can a location get ruined? ... By andrea13 on 24 May 2010 10 1361 2 Jun 2010
Best island/location for surfing? any ideas? ... By Tomhamish on 19 Apr 2010 3 1729 20 Apr 2010
Noi Bai Airport public bus moved to new location ... By travworld on 3 Oct 2013 1 672 4 Oct 2013
Ever heard of this hotel...good location 4 sightseeing? ... By abiyogini on 17 Mar 2006 3 1852 18 Mar 2006
IMPT: New location for getting Burma visa in KL as of 14 Oct 2013! ... By busylizzy on 15 Oct 2013 17 11675 20 Apr 2014
Which is the better location for white water rafting in Bali? ... By klb5050 on 1 Jun 2013 0 505 1 Jun 2013
Trekking Guide (and Location) in Northern Thailand ... By squong on 4 Oct 2007 1 2108 4 Oct 2007
Trekking Location and Guide recommendation in Laos ... By squong on 15 Oct 2007 1 2031 15 Nov 2007