Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Tips on our routeplan Isaan-Laos

• Jolinde

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2010

With our 4 (teenager) kids we will explore this year Isaan province ( Loei and neighbourhood) but also want to go Laos (vientiane, vang vieng and prabang). We have 3,5 week. Leaving/combing back Bangkok, and preferably also visit Sukhotai and want relaxing couple a days beach/sun. Whats' the best (budget) travel schedule??

#1 Posted: 22/6/2010 - 18:20

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Jolinde,

Providing the Mekong is running high enough, I'd try to do this in a way that would allow you to take the slow boat from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang. If you were to cross from Thailand into Laos at Chiang Khong , you could consider doing a route such as this ...

1) Bangkok to Phitsanulok by train, then to Sukhothai by bus.
    2) Sukhothai (to Phitsanulok) to Chiang Khan via Chiangrai or Phrae or somewhere else along the way ... you can hop from town to town if you like because buses go everywhere. It's easy and a lot more fun than taking big bus trips, and you get to see more. It takes longer, though.
    3) Chiang Khong to Huay Xai and then by boat to LP with a stop in Pakbeng.
    4) LP to Vang Vieng.
    5) VV to Vientiane .
    6) Vientiane to Nong Khai .
    7) Nong Khai to Sangkhom (with a day or two at Buoy Bungalow).
    8) Sangkhom to Pak Chom to Chiang Khan (from Pak Chom to CK by taxi as there is no, or was no, public transport between the two places. The scenery along this part of the river, though, is outstanding. The alternative is a 3 hour trip south from Pak Chom and then north again to Chiang Khan).
    9) South from Chiang Khan to Loei (this is only about an hour by songthaew or bus).
    10) Then south to the islands in Trat Province for your beach time.

If the Mekong's water isn't high enough for the boat trip, you can go from Sukhothai to Phitsanulok to Loei, then you can travel up to Chiang Khan and then east along the river to Nong Khai where you can cross into Vientiane and then go north.

If you look at Google Maps or Google Earth, or a road map, you'll see that this route makes sense for what you want to do. It is also a road less traveled with great scenery, great towns, and a very laidback pace, particularly between Chiang Khan and Nong Khai.

#2 Posted: 23/6/2010 - 01:25

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Jolinde
    I don't want to be pedantic here, but Isaan isn't a province, it's a region made up of a number of provinces - Loei being one of them. Just FYI.

#3 Posted: 23/6/2010 - 02:52

• Jolinde

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2010

Thanks Tilapia for your suggestions;it really make sense! I am a bit worried about Trat (and islands overtheir) because off rainy season (july). What's your experience depending on the weather in july comparing Trat (Chang, Damet, Mak, Kut) to Andaman or Surat Tani area. I would absolutely prefer going to Trat-region because it's a much better match coming from Isaan..

#4 Posted: 23/6/2010 - 03:32

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

When I typed that info I wasn't aware of when you were going to be there. I think most people who contribute to this site would agree that the islands in Trat province are not ideal at that time of the year. I believe that boats stop running to some of them during the monsoon season.

You could always go to a place along the Gulf coast, such as Ban Saphan Yai, or Prachuap. It would probably take you as long to go down there by bus or train as it would to get to Trat from Bangkok. Or you could try a different island, like Koh Sichang, off Sri Racha. Less rainfall there, as well.

#5 Posted: 23/6/2010 - 07:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Can you give me some tips on Isaan and the southern Gulf ... By Nokka on 25 Nov 2011 5 912 26 Nov 2011
Isaan and Laos - what's the difference? ... By somtam2000 on 17 Jun 2009 95 10580 3 Jan 2010