Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

What's your favorite place to eat in Bangkok?

• Jolinde

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2010

Looking for great places in Bangkok where i can find the best thai food (so no tourist places, but places where i can find the Thai themself. No chic restaurants, but great authentic spots! Area; democracy monument, or up north in Bangkok.

#1 Posted: 22/6/2010 - 18:54

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

1. Why would you assume that if tourists go there, it's neither authentic nor good? I believe this to be a false assumption. I know of a VERY GOOD, VERY Authentic Thai restaraunt in Sukhimvite on Soi 22 which caters to tourists as well as Thais. My wife loves it - she's Thai. There's something to be said for "chic", but if you are looking to experience what your average, working class Thai does - that's easy...

2. You can find authentic Thai food on just about every street and near every shopping area in Bangkok. If you want to eat what the average Thai guy is eating every day (hence authentic), just go to a noodle stand or some dingy, hole in the wall place. There's literally hundreds of thousands of them dotting Thailand. God knows I've eaten at enough of them.

#2 Posted: 22/6/2010 - 23:30

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

near Democracy monument:
    http://importfood.com/saochingcha_guide.html

it's one of my favourite areas in BKK cos i can combine sightseeing + food when bringing friends who haven't been to BKK before around. many of the little lanes branching off from the main road have a lot of character & walking along them & the smaller canals is a good quiet break from BKK traffic. just note that the above guide doesn't cover everything, so keep your eyes + nose on the alert along the route. & strictly speaking, some of the stuff in the above guide is Teochew Chinese food introduced by Thai-Chinese, rather than Thai food per se.

also see their link on Or Tor Kor market since that is in northern BKK (next to Chatuchak).

markets are a good place too - one not far from Democracy monument is Nang Loeng market along Nakhon Sawan Rd:
    http://eatingasia.typepad.com/eatingasia/2008/07/word-count-and.html

another link with a food map:
    http://www.austinbushphotography.com/category/foodblog/

#3 Posted: 23/6/2010 - 08:24

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

Try Suda restaurant off Sukhumvit.Not sure of the number but it's on the 'even numbered side' just a bit up the road from Soi 19.Very popular with Thais and Expats.

#4 Posted: 23/6/2010 - 09:58

• rachelle23

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2010

Visit Grand Palace. Take a boat to temple. Or go to night market.

#5 Posted: 25/6/2010 - 11:26

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

Visit Grand Palace. Take a boat to temple. Or go to night market.

interested to know what good Thai food options are available for tourists within the Grand Palace :P

#6 Posted: 25/6/2010 - 12:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
What is your favorite place to scuba dive in SE Asia? ... By mattocmd on 16 Oct 2008 0 3650 16 Oct 2008