Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Tourist Visa Question

• kaede

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Guys, sorry if this has already been answered, but a search of travelfish and thaivisa have not provided me with a good answer.

I'm in koh phangan- will have used up my free visa on arrival on July 4th. Heading to bangkok on July 2nd then to chiang mai.

Need to get a 30 or 60 day visa before July 4th- can i do this in bangkok at the immigration office? I remember reading this process takes about 3-5 days.

Correct?

I know i can get a extension on my initial visa to cover those days if necessary.

Any info greatly appreciated.

#1 Posted: 23/6/2010 - 10:39

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Most western nationalities get a quick visa exemption (30 days by air, 15 by land) on arrival to Thailand. You can then do a border hop for another 15 days or exit and re-enter by air for 30 more days. Or you can get a proper tourist visa but this cannot be obtained inside Thailand. They are issued by Thai consular services in your home country or in neighboring countries e.g. Vientiane Laos, Phnom Penh Cambodia, etc.

Since you'll be in Chiang Mai when the current entry is set to expire the quickest soultion is to do a border run to Mae Sai in the far north, which is a daytrip offered for about 600 baht by most travel agents and guesthouses, plus you'll need 500 baht or $10 for the border pass to walk into Myanmar and back. Hundreds of tourists do this every day, but again you only get 15 days re-entry. Otherwise high-tail it to Vientiane via overnight bus to Udon Thani or the Aya Tour overnight van advertised around CM.

There's nothing you can do at Immigration except maybe extend your current entry 7 more days at a cost of 1900 baht - hardly worth it.

#2 Posted: 23/6/2010 - 12:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
tourist visa question ... By johntron86 on 25 Mar 2011 2 1639 25 Mar 2011
tourist visa question (can't find the answer to this one) ... By tropicalfarmer on 29 Mar 2013 2 1616 30 Mar 2013