Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

budget for 3.5 months in s.e.a.

• JessicaBens-
    on3

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

My boyfriend and I are spendig the fall in southeast asia. We will be there sept 1st through december 21st. I have to admit, I'm getting a little nervous about our budget. Realistically between the two of us we should be there with about
    $7000. Will this be enough? We travel light and don't need super nice accomodations. Any advice would be amazing. I just want to be prepared as well as possible, mostly just so when we arrive the stress will be gone and we'll have a fabulous time. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 2/7/2010 - 03:12

• Advertisement

• appro

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 19

I'm assuming that figure doesn't include flights?

If so, based on say 105 days, this works out at $33 a day each. We spent $30 each in Thailand (north), about $20-25 in Laos (Laos is cheap regarding living costs, but transport costs added up) and we're currently spending about $15 a day in Cambodia.

We stay in decent places (lots of air con at first, fan rooms now) and eat well. Booze is the budget killer - particularly in Thailand. Watch that carefully. Southern Thailand will be more expensive - not sure exactly yet as we're going there in a couple of weeks. Also, if you plan to do lots of activities (trekking, boat rides, elephants, etc) then the cost for these can add up.

But, you're budget should be fine if you keep an eye on it (it's higher than my budget).

#2 Posted: 2/7/2010 - 11:39

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

That's about 60USD (or 2000 Thai baht)/day which is a comfortable budget for decent rooms/bungalows and restaurant meals plus a few beers. Being a couple cuts down on accommodation compared to two singles, most nicer rooms being based on double occupancy anyway. You'll see a fair amount of variation pricewise between north and south Thailand (for example) - here in Chiang Mai you can get a very good guesthouse room with aircon/tv/and maybe even a fridge for about 500-800 baht, but down south on the likes of Phuket/PhiPhi you can double it for the same standard. So stay in cheaper places on higher priced resort beaches and splash out a bit in the cheaper spots. Transport will be mostly by bus which is dirt cheap and you have enough time no need for regional flights although even that can be done economically on budget carriers like Air Asia.

#3 Posted: 2/7/2010 - 15:11

• brummie1985

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2010

Hey,

I'm glad you posted this. I am a Female solo traveller aged 24 and I will travelling SE ASIA between the 3rd of Sept and 22nd of Dec, I didnt have a clue about my budget, so this is great thanks.

Carmen x

#4 Posted: 5/7/2010 - 19:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.