Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Itinerary change (need Help)

• Carrelas

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2010

Hello all,

Staying IN SEA for 4 weeks and just tried to fit to much in.

Before looked like this

Bangkok (2 days)
    koh tao/ Koh Samui (5 days)
    Phuket/phi phi (5 days) - taking out
    perhentian islands (4days)
    Kuala Lumpur (2 days)
    Siem Reap (4 days)
    Bangkok (3 days)

So now

I am having trouble figuring out to get from Koh Samui / surat Thani to perhentian islands. I was thinking through land but how long does that take? Would it be worth to fly back to Bangkok to fly to Kuala Lumpur and then to Kota Bharu?

Any information would be great. Thanks in advanced.

#1 Posted: 4/7/2010 - 07:33

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Hi there.

You could get a sleeper train that goes all the way to Sungai Kolok which isn't too far from Kota Bahru. Here's a map of the train route.

http://www.seat61.com/Map-SEAsia.htm

There's loads of excellent information about trains on that site, including train timetables and a link to online ticket booking in Thailand.

Scroll down this page till you get to the Bangkok-> Sungai Kolok timetable.

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Train%20times

You'll see that there's an A/C sleeper train leaving Chumphon at 23.22 which will get you to Sungai Kolok at 11.25. (These times may not be accurate BTW...more than likely the train will be late arriving both at Chumphon and Sungai Kolok but it gives you an idea of how long the trip will be. It's a pretty efficient way to get there both time and money wise compared to flying and it'll be a lot more comfortable that doing the trip by bus... you'll be able lie down properly to sleep and can also wander about to stretch your legs if you feel like it.

The only slight problem is that that route goes through the southern areas of Thailand that have a bit of bother with Muslim rebels. Personally I'd risk it but up to you.

If you do decide to take the train I'd recommend getting it in Chumphon (after Ko Tao ). By the time it gets to Surat Thani it'll be the wee small hours of the morning and you won't have much sleep time.

I can't remember exactly what time the afternoon ferries from Ko Tao arrive in Chumphon but I think it's around 4 -5pm so you'll have about a six hour wait. I'd recommend getting a hotel room (hotels there are dirt cheap) so you can relax a bit and have a shower before you getting on the night train. There's a left luggage facility at the station if you don't want to lug your heavy bags about.

Apart from that you could maybe shave a day off Bangkok at the beginning of your trip seeing as you're spending 3 days there at the end. Depends on what time your flight arrives in Thailand but you could even maybe get a connecting flight straight to Samui (Bangkok Air) or Surat Thani (Air Asia) and get over the jet lag on a beach instead of in Bangkok.
    Otherwise you can get a night sleeper down to Surat Thani as well.

If you do decide to take a train to Malaysia or down to Surat Thani from Bangkok be sure and book the sleeper seats in advance. You're very unlikely to get a sleeper if you just show up on the day. And book your ferry ticket from Ko Tao to the mainland as well... I got caught out when I was there last time... the ferry I'd planned to get was full so I had to wait for the next one. You don't want to miss your train because of not being able to get off the island!

Hope that helps.

#2 Posted: 4/7/2010 - 22:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.