Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

8 days ko lanta - krabi - phi phi

• garrithv

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2010

hi,

im visiting family in hong kong in Sept/Oct, and have 8 days in Thailand probably from the 18-26sept and its
    3 of us.

looking for a bit of everything in 8 days if we can, beaches,islands,elephants,scuba,scooters etc. I like
    doing something everyday and find the time for beaches as well.

From the forum info ive read i think i will try 4 days ko lanta, 2 days krabi, 2 days phi phi.
    how does that sound?

is it worth going to phuket if i visit these 3 areas?

then an involved question...

the package deals from hong kong are for flight to phuket and 1 week stay at 1 hotel, meaning im limited
    in staying in other areas unless i do day trips. just from reading what most people say its better to move to each area and stay in a new hotel/lodging. ive worked out that the package basically allows 18 000baht for accomodation for 3 for a week. roughly 900baht per person per day. should i rather fly on my own and choose
    where i want to stay as i move around?

the other part is if i fly on my own then is it better to fly to phuket direct and then to ko lanta and tour from there. if i fly to krabi from hong kong there is an overnight on the return leg through bangkok. how long does it take from phuket airport to ko lanta?

thanks for the help.

#1 Posted: 4/7/2010 - 21:16

• Advertisement

• garrithv

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2010

having said all that would phuket be the place to stay for first time visitors?

#2 Posted: 4/7/2010 - 21:52

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

For a start it is wet season on the Phuket -Andaman side. Normally you will get better weather jumping a Bangkok Air flight over to the Samui side where the wet season tends to be Oct into Jan. But if it kicks off early this year, maybe not.

Low season on the Phuket side means your hotel allowance will get you a very nice place - prices tend to be discounted savagely.
    Downsides include - places like Lanta tend to have few travellers - more rough-sea days mean scuba is more restricted - you could hit a patch of blowy, rainy weather which makes you wish for the other side (although most of my wet season trips have seen enough sun for a good tan and bad weather not too prolonged).

Should you stay in Phuket? - yep, I'd pull Lanta and substitute Phuket. Big island, has some real nice beaches and great hotels, great for shopping/eating/entertainment/daytrips. And even in low season there are enough tourists to give the place some life. Ditto PP. Normally ditto Krabi - but my trip last month saw the nice beach area Railay virtually deserted. If you;ve seen this place peak season you may say no bad thing.

I'd also do the two days each at PP and Krabi.

#3 Posted: 7/7/2010 - 10:40

• garrithv

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2010

hanks Tezza, you got an awesome site as well.

few more questions and anyone can jump in here.

from your advice i think ill stay Phuket for the 8 days and do day trips, i can still scuba/snorkel if i want and just about everything else in Phuket.

1) if i can get another week in Thailand which may happen ill head to Koh Samui and surrounding islands, id like to do that scube stay aboard there. it would be mid-sept and at this stage i cant worry too much about weather as this is the only time i can get out there.

2) Do you book your accom online or do you simply arrive and then barter, there are such good prices on sites like Agoda that i doubt i would match but simply arriving.

3) do you leave your bags and passport in your rooms while you are out and about, my main concern is the passport, how safe are the rooms. I mean anywhere from hotel rooms to beach front bungalows

4) the carrying of money: i dont want to be exchanging every day so how much would you have on hand for a few days, just for accom and food some day trips etc.

#4 Posted: 7/7/2010 - 19:10

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

1 - when i was staying at Hing Wong Bay last month a pocket-sized cruise-type boat called in - I took it to be a live-aboard dive/snorkel outfit - it worked over the southern headland for several hours in the afternoon - then on sunset moved across to the area in front of Hing Wong Resort where the passengers seemed to do night-dives/snorkels. When I was breakfastingg next morning this boat was slipping out of the bay, heading north.
    I reckon Google might find it. Got a shot on my site.

2 - Sept is moving into shoulder seasib. If I wanted a specific place I'd maybe book. Otherwise not.

3- I carry passport/money with me at all times with an emergency stash of cash hidden in my gear AND the room. Some rooms have safes - some operations have safes in reception. There have been some complaints re the latter but I've never been stiffed.

4 - I often find myself carrying the equivalent of $us400. Never lost it so far.

#5 Posted: 11/7/2010 - 15:46

• garrithv

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2010

hi few more questions.

ive confirmed the dates. 14-26sept. 12 days.

i was thinking 8 days Samui side and 4 days back at Phuket .

any thoughts on the split?

i want to dive at tao then see phangan and samui for a day or 2 each. last few days in Phuket as im flying out there or spend all our time in Samui side?

want to do diving, Island and beaches, elephants, game reserve?

#6 Posted: 14/7/2010 - 21:24

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

I reckon your time split including a few days checking Phuket is a good one seeing you are flying out of the latter.

#7 Posted: 17/7/2010 - 09:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ko Lanta or Krabi ... By westcoastmimi on 2 Nov 2009 10 4586 3 Nov 2009
Koh Lanta to Krabi ... By salbruce on 15 Sep 2006 4 2146 16 Sep 2006