Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

food budget

• mrsT

Joined Travelfish
    28th September, 2006

Hi everyone,

My husband and I will be in Thailand for 16 days in Dec/Jan and are wondering how much money we should put aside for food. We will be in Bangkok for 4 days, 3 days on Ko Tao, and 9 days on Ko Samui. All the hotels we are staying at include breakfast. So how much is reasonable for dinner and lunch for two? We don't drink very much and plan on eating thai food mostly. Thanks for the suggestions.

#1 Posted: 7/11/2006 - 06:17

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi MrsT,

Here's some samples from my eating over the last few nights -- amounts are total bills, not per person:

Monday night: Rather fancy Vietnamese restaurant for 3 people including a couple of beers, 6 dishes: 1,200B

Sunday night: Open-air Thai restaurant, very local. Two people, way too many beers, 4 dishes: 700B

Saturday night: Sit down restaurant in large department store, two people, no beers, two dishes: 350B

Friday night: Open air, Thai restaurant, popular with tourists and Thais, two people, four dishes a few drinks: 500B

These are Bangkok prices, so more expensive than you'll pay on the islands. Also if you lean towards western food, bills will be higher

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 7/11/2006 - 14:02

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

mrsT,

we planned on roughly 100B per person per meal during our recent trip. it is easy to eat for less if you like the thai-style "food to order" kinds of places, but easy to spend more too if you go for a splurge at a fancy place. in any case, that 100B per person should get you each a main dish and possibly even a drink or appetizer. if you share a big beer, it won't add all that much to your bill. i hope that helps. happy eating.

#3 Posted: 7/11/2006 - 22:56

• wolfman

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2006
    Total reviews: 4

like everywhere-it´s the booze adding bahts to your bill. a big chang goes for-at least 40b. in cheapies and a 100b. or 120b. in more daring places

hth

#4 Posted: 8/11/2006 - 16:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.