Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

my experience with BANGKOK HOSPITAL

• atar1999

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2010

I have recently (today) tried to settle a lawsuit with Bangkok hospital medical center. Back ground, I went to get a cyst removed from the back of my neck. After draining the cyst the doctor broke a needle off in the open wound. After digging out the needle I had a drain tube hanging out of the back of my neck and an open wound to care for while or vacation. I worked in Iraq so my company would not clear me to return to work till the cound close. I stayed 25 days passed my paid vaction and lost with expenses $8000 usd. Today I went down to $5300 they would not agree so we are going to trail and letting the judge decide. To sum up I would NOT recommend BANGKOK HOSPITAL.

#1 Posted: 6/7/2010 - 18:58

• Advertisement

• Mexicano31

Joined Travelfish
    8th April, 2010

wow... will keep that in mind. Thanks for sharing.

#2 Posted: 7/7/2010 - 00:16

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey. sorry to hear about your pain and suffering. but in all reality, this post is just spam from an angry person trying to get even. if we'd heard from you before, then i'd feel different about this info. but your one and only TF post is this flamer. again, sorry to hear it, but even so this appears to be an isolated incident at the hospital and not necessarily the norm. bummer that it is, sometimes s*** happens. get well soon.

#3 Posted: 7/7/2010 - 02:25

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

If you want to get big money from a medical malpractice related lawsuit then get your medical care in an expensive hospital in a country like the U.S.

When you pay cheap money for your medical care you get cheap money back in a lawsuit. Thai hospitals exist to treat Thai citizens with lower incomes! I have had minor medical and dental work Thailand several times, I knew what I was getting into. If a problem came up I knew that I would get very little if I had to bring a lawsuit.

Even if the doctor did not break the needle off you would probably still have a tube in the wound draining fluids off. Isn't draining a cyst a normal procedure? It is unfortunate that the needle broke but what you got from that is probably just some additional scarring if he had to dig it out.

You could have mitigated some of your expenses of staying longer in Thailand by moving to a cheaper hotel and eating at less fancy restaurants.

Sorry about your problem. Crap happens sometimes!

#4 Posted: 8/7/2010 - 09:54

• jasinorbit

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Sorry to here about your bad fortune. Just for another point of view - I found the Hospital we were in much better than some Australian ones Ive been to.Last week I was in Bangkok and a pregnant friend in our group had to go to hospital after some very bad motion sickness (she was sick for 24hrs straight. She was not covered by insurance as her motion sickness is the same symtoms as morning sickness and therefore excluded under pregnancy. That said - the hospital was fantastic, staff were great and we had lots of help. I cant remember the name - but it was close to our hotel Sukumvit - north or Soi 26. Bad things can happen in hospitals everywhere....

#5 Posted: 18/7/2010 - 18:17

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

Sorry to hear of your experience with the Bangkok Hospital but I guess this sort of thing happens.I've had 2 experiences with Thai hospitals,or my wife has.First one required a minor operation on her foot and the second involved a bout of food poisoning.I thought the care she received was first class with no problems at all.One of the hospitals in Sri Racha had quite a few letters on the notice board from foreigners commending the hospital and the staff.

#6 Posted: 19/7/2010 - 15:10

• betina

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2010

ouch! that's the difficult thing when getting into a foreign hospital, you don't know what will happen and when things go bad you don't know if someone will help you. hope everything will be fine.

#7 Posted: 19/7/2010 - 17:55

• christof

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Wow that sounds like a nasty episode. Hospital malpractice is a thorny issue for sure. My family has been on the receiving end of it where I am from and it does make you really angry and want to fight back. This can then lead to protracted & expensive legal proceedings lasting for years and perhaps getting you nowhere.

I have always had a very positive experience with Thai hospitals. Prompt appointments, friendly customer service, the ability to have scans at much reduced levels from the west and cheap drugs.

$8,000 for 25 days lost income and expenses is a lot of money. Am slightly curious as to what the split of income/expenses is.

#8 Posted: 19/7/2010 - 18:47

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I am with Sir Hlaberd 100% here. I have had nothing but good experiences from Thai medical staff in the three years I and my family have lived here. Nurses have been courteous, doctors have been patient with my questions... quality of care has been good (not perfect, but good). Doctors are human, they are going to make mistakes like the rest of us. Honest mistakes (that is, not gross negligence) should not end up causing serious liability. That's one of the many reasons medical care in the US is ridiculously expensive. I'm sorry you got hurt and had to deal with the hassles, but that's part of life. You wanted cheap medical care, you're not going to get a whopping settlement out of your pain and inconvenience. Just don't work that way.

#9 Posted: 21/7/2010 - 09:44

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

my experience with Thai medicine has been off-the-chart positive as well. during those times my friends or family has needed medical attention, we've been treated quickly, with fantastic courtesy, and with a generally high degree of skill. in fact, i'd say that the medical care i've received in Thailand has been consistently better than anything i've had back here in the states. maybe that is why the original post bothered me as much as it did.

#10 Posted: 21/7/2010 - 10:59

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
samitivej hospital bangkok ... By ravenous100 on 16 Nov 2010 0 749 16 Nov 2010