Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

How To Get to Bkk Immigration from Khao San Rd.

• Kruzon

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2010
    Location Cape Verde

The New Bangkok Thai Immigration Office from Banglumpoo district.

Thai Immigration Bkk has moved to its’ new location to be near Don Muang Airport in Eary 2010.

Print this page and show the Thai below to your bus & taxi driver as it will aide you in getting to immigragration office from Banglumpoo, Khao San Rd area by taking the 524 bus from Sam Sen Soi 1 bus stop. The 524 isn’t a common bus as 3 or 4 of nearly every other bus came by before a 524 air conditioned bus came by the bus stop. So if you miss one, as I did, it can be a long time (30+ minutes) of waiting at the bus stop.

This bus stop is in front of a copy shop so you can photo copy your documents cheaply and conveniently and there is a photography shop across the street for the required passport quality pictures. The bus stop is only 100 m north of Ma-Sa-Man Cooking School & Bakery a Cooking Schools Intl. school. Their viewable from inside Thailand website is http://www.ma-sa-man.zxq.net and on it's registration page is a printable map or the Google interactive map on their about us page.

Once on the bus show the attendant and the driver this sentence which directs them go to Rajapaht Phanakorn University (มหาวิทยาลัยราชภัฏพระนคร) traffic circle.

Now you can sit back, relax and take in the sites and if you sit beside the driver you can enjoy longer leg room and full windscreen viewing as well. It will take about an hour in low traffic conditions. I caught my 524 at 9:45am. Once at the university get off at the second bus stop past the traffic circle and catch a cab (mine cost 55 baht and took 10 minutes) show the driver the other picture or below Thai instructions and he will take you to the north entrance of the upside down pyramid shaped mall / tower building.

Cab driver instructions (ด่านตรวจคนข้าเมือง ที่ตึกศูนย์ราชการ ก่อนถึงตึกกงศุล ).
    Immediately inside the building look to your right as there is a small door leading into a small room that is likely crowded with the humans of every nationality in this cattle pen room figuring out they need to line up at the counter and request the appropriate form. So if you had downloaded it from the internet (i.e. extension of stay T.M. 7) you would not need to stop at the counter and then find a place to complete the form nor would you have to play with their glues for your picture as you would have this pre-done and you could proceed immediately through the door way and metal detector at the opposite end of the room from the entrance where you will enter the immigration room "the hive" as I refer to it.

Once in the hive you proceed to any counter line up in front of you where they check your documents and give you a queue number. This queue number tells you which window to sit in front of and which number is being served. I had 20 numbers ahead of me it took near 3 minutes per number and meant an hour wait for me. This hour I could have spent in the lower level mall rather than sitting in front of the window. As it would happen I enter the interrogation room at 10 to 12 and I’m short one photo copy and must go and find a photo copy shop (lower level) where one baht purchased my missing photo copy.

Their office closes 12:00 to 13:00 so I had lunch and walked the mall returning to the hive at 13:10 hrs. I was being served when I left so I waited for one of the two persons to get up and slipped right in and was served next. Keep you queue number as the interrogation room next door is where you will pick up your new doc when you see your queue number come up on their now serving queue number sign.

The interrogation was mostly centered around where you stay in Bkk, address, room number, phone number. This is different form the old office where you simply passed the officer your passport, photo copies, and money and sat down and waited for you new number to come up.
    Returning to Khao San area do everything in reverse. Take the taxi to the first bus stop พ the way around the university traffic circle (55 baht) to the first bus stop directly across from the university. You should be heading south when you catch the 524 and take its one hour ride to the Khao San Rd area.

I hope this information is helpful and saves many foreigners the frustration of using the Thai immigration web site as at the time of this article it still holds the old location information and map.

#1 Posted: 8/7/2010 - 15:51

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Google Earth/Maps
    13° 53' 26.53" N 100° 34' 2.14" E
    http://www.panoramio.com/photo/17083658
    Long way from KSR - take a taxi

#2 Posted: 9/7/2010 - 18:37

• Kruzon

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2010
    Location Cape Verde

Captain Bob,

The bus ride cost and taxi at end is combined both ways is under 150 baht. I expect a taxi would exceed 500 baht and if you are caught in BKK traffic or yor taxi driver takes you for a city wide tour your costs will be significantly higher. Most backpackers (Khao San area farang) are traveling on tight budgets and are not ATMS. It is a fact that a trip to Thai Immigration is a whole day lost in travel, lines and processing. So taking a bus is a real cast saving option. If there is three or more of you going to immigration or its' mall a Taxi is cost efficient and the ride is more comfortable.

#3 Posted: 10/7/2010 - 07:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.