Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Itinerary Advice (beware...lots of questions!)

• itsallaroun-
    dyou

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2006

Hi there, can someone tell me if the itinerary I have layed out is feasable (not too rushed) and actually possible given the transportation in thailand?

We leave SFO Nov 29th, and fly out of BKK Dec 19th

Nov 29 and 30: SFO to BKK, arrive 11:50 pm on the 30th--get a taxi to KSR and hang out for a few hours, then head back to airport for flight to Trang

Dec 1: AM flight to Trang, public trans to Ko Sukorn
    Dec 2: Ko Sukorn
    Dec 3: Ko Sukorn
    Dec 4: Ko Sukorn to Khao Sok (by bus)
    Dec 5: Khao Sok to Khao Lak (by bus)
    Dec 6: Khao Lak (hopefully will make it to the Similan Islands for some diving/snorkelling)
    Dec 7: Khao Lak to Bangkok (by overnight train)
    Dec 8: Day trip to Ayuthaya, then overnight train or bus to Chiang Mai

Dec 9, 10, 11, 12: need to decide how long to stay in Chiang Mai, and how long to stay in either Pai or Mai Hong Son (would like to do some trekking in this area)

Dec 12: ____ to Um Phang
    Dec 13: Um Phang
    Dec 14: Um Phang to Kanchanaburi (is overnight transportation possible?)
    Dec 15: Kanchanaburi
    Dec 16: Kanchanaburi to Bangkok
    Dec 17: Bangkok
    Dec 18: Bangkok
    Dec 19: 6:30 am flight home :(

Does it look possible to squeeze in a visit to Sangkhlaburi from Kanchanaburi, or would I be too rushed?

Should I skip certain towns and add others? (i like a mix of nature and night life)

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to tackle all my questions :)

#1 Posted: 8/11/2006 - 05:00

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi itsallaroundyou,

Sounds like a great trip - here's a few tips:

1) I'd allow an extra day in Khao Sok as unless you leave Sukorn at the crack of dawn you won't be there till mid afternoon and then you've timed it to leave the next day -- that really doesn't leave you much time to get out into the park.

2) There is no train from Khao Lak, so you'll need to transfer first to Surat Thani to pick up the train or head to Bangkok by bus. Note that heading to Surat Thani from Khao Lak may take you via the park entrance at Khao Sok, so you may want to reorder that part of the trip (go sukorn,khao lak, khao sok)

3) Give exacto's Chiang Mai trip report a read -- it's a terrific summary of what the town has to offer. If you want to go trekking, it is better out of Pai or MHS, but if you're only got four days, you need to pick one of the three towns -- don't try and cover all three.

4) First - Umphang is awesome! It isn't on the site yet as I've just not had time to revisit, but it is terrific.

5) Umphang to Kanchanaburi - not to my knowledge - perhaps a private minibus service, but more likely you'll need to return to Bangkok then head out to Kanchanaburi.

6) Adding in Sangkhlaburi will be a tight squeeze.

Overall its a great trip -- obviously if you had an extra week the pace would be more comfortable, but you've got a good mix of tourist spots and lesser-known hideaways -- Sukorn and Umphang are two excellent choices.

Look forward to reading your trip report!

#2 Posted: 8/11/2006 - 06:41

• itsallaroun-
    dyou

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2006

Thank you so much! Glad to hear I wasn't too far off the planning mark....I knew when i started planning this trip that i'd need to come back, this just solidifies that fact :)

thanks again for all of your help

#3 Posted: 8/11/2006 - 08:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Need Itinerary Advice-lots of questions ... By jessicaf on 25 Oct 2010 3 1521 25 Oct 2010
Lots of questions ... By DeanneO on 10 Jun 2012 6 1557 11 Jun 2012
3 weeks in Indonesia - lots of questions! ... By nogslah on 24 Jun 2014 2 706 30 Jun 2014
First Solo Trip! One month in SEA (lots of questions!) ... By Dayyanum on 12 Jul 2012 0 1584 12 Jul 2012
16 days itinerary advice - including trip questions ... By Jaimyvandijke on 26 Jul 2013 4 1442 29 Jul 2013
Lots of advice needed ... By mitchlou84 on 12 Oct 2007 8 2313 16 Oct 2007