Itinerary Advice (beware...lots of questions!)
25th October, 2006
Hi there, can someone tell me if the itinerary I have layed out is feasable (not too rushed) and actually possible given the transportation in thailand?
We leave SFO Nov 29th, and fly out of BKK Dec 19th
Nov 29 and 30: SFO to BKK, arrive 11:50 pm on the 30th--get a taxi to KSR and hang out for a few hours, then head back to airport for flight to Trang
Dec 1: AM flight to Trang, public trans to Ko Sukorn
Dec 2: Ko Sukorn
Dec 3: Ko Sukorn
Dec 4: Ko Sukorn to Khao Sok (by bus)
Dec 5: Khao Sok to Khao Lak (by bus)
Dec 6: Khao Lak (hopefully will make it to the Similan Islands for some diving/snorkelling)
Dec 7: Khao Lak to Bangkok (by overnight train)
Dec 8: Day trip to Ayuthaya, then overnight train or bus to Chiang Mai
Dec 9, 10, 11, 12: need to decide how long to stay in Chiang Mai, and how long to stay in either Pai or Mai Hong Son (would like to do some trekking in this area)
Dec 12: ____ to Um Phang
Dec 13: Um Phang
Dec 14: Um Phang to Kanchanaburi (is overnight transportation possible?)
Dec 15: Kanchanaburi
Dec 16: Kanchanaburi to Bangkok
Dec 17: Bangkok
Dec 18: Bangkok
Dec 19: 6:30 am flight home :(
Does it look possible to squeeze in a visit to Sangkhlaburi from Kanchanaburi, or would I be too rushed?
Should I skip certain towns and add others? (i like a mix of nature and night life)
Thanks in advance to anyone willing to tackle all my questions :)
#1 Posted: 8/11/2006 - 05:00
21st January, 2004
Total reviews: 24
At least 113
Sounds like a great trip - here's a few tips:
1) I'd allow an extra day in Khao Sok as unless you leave Sukorn at the crack of dawn you won't be there till mid afternoon and then you've timed it to leave the next day -- that really doesn't leave you much time to get out into the park.
2) There is no train from Khao Lak, so you'll need to transfer first to Surat Thani to pick up the train or head to Bangkok by bus. Note that heading to Surat Thani from Khao Lak may take you via the park entrance at Khao Sok, so you may want to reorder that part of the trip (go sukorn,khao lak, khao sok)
3) Give exacto's Chiang Mai trip report a read -- it's a terrific summary of what the town has to offer. If you want to go trekking, it is better out of Pai or MHS, but if you're only got four days, you need to pick one of the three towns -- don't try and cover all three.
4) First - Umphang is awesome! It isn't on the site yet as I've just not had time to revisit, but it is terrific.
5) Umphang to Kanchanaburi - not to my knowledge - perhaps a private minibus service, but more likely you'll need to return to Bangkok then head out to Kanchanaburi.
6) Adding in Sangkhlaburi will be a tight squeeze.
Overall its a great trip -- obviously if you had an extra week the pace would be more comfortable, but you've got a good mix of tourist spots and lesser-known hideaways -- Sukorn and Umphang are two excellent choices.
Look forward to reading your trip report!
#2 Posted: 8/11/2006 - 06:41
25th October, 2006
Thank you so much! Glad to hear I wasn't too far off the planning mark....I knew when i started planning this trip that i'd need to come back, this just solidifies that fact :)
thanks again for all of your help
#3 Posted: 8/11/2006 - 08:14
Add your reply
You need to be logged in to add a reply.
Not a member? you can join here.
|Possibly related discussions||Replies||Views||Latest reply|
|Need Itinerary Advice-lots of questions ...||3||1672||25 Oct 2010|
|Lots of questions ...||6||1707||11 Jun 2012|
|3 weeks in Indonesia - lots of questions! ...||2||939||30 Jun 2014|
|First Solo Trip! One month in SEA (lots of questions!) ...||0||1762||12 Jul 2012|
|16 days itinerary advice - including trip questions ...||4||1625||29 Jul 2013|
|LTRPFTP - first solo trip - 2 months - itinerary advice and questions?! ...||2||455||28 Mar 2015|
|Lots of advice needed ...||8||2425||16 Oct 2007|