Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

your ideal itinerary

Posted by walkingtrees on 15/7/2010 at 00:16

Hi Guys

So I'm still trying to hash out a rough itinerary for my Thailand/Laos trip (first time in SEA, first time aboard solo) for August 2-26, flying in and out of BKK. I plan on heading north from Bangkok, seeing Sukhothai (chose this over Ayutthaya), making my way to Chiang Mai, flying to Luang Prabang, and then getting back to Bangkok. Those 4 spots are as of right now my only musts.

I ask this: what would you do? Where would you go?

I'm a 28-year-old guy and want to experience a little of everything...treks, ruins, meeting other travelers but more importantly locals, long nights, early rises to see monks, wildlife, geography, food, whatever. I can do the party thing one day and be happy someplace remote the next.

Any suggestions on things to check out between my 4 "must" stops or logistically tips?

Thanks, love this site!

#1 walkingtrees has been a member since 25/1/2010. Posts: 58

Posted by saryne11 on 15/7/2010 at 11:33

Hi!

I have been to Thailand twice- once with a friend and once alone. And Ive also visited Laos. So, my top 4?

When you go to Ayutthaya- you have to take a river boat tour at sunset. Really amazing sights and you get to see locals swimming in the river. Really wonderful.

On your way to Sukothai- you have to stop in Lopburi - the monkey city. Monkeys are literally jumping on cars and walking on buildings- something that I thought was once in a lifetime. When you board at Ayutthaya, leave in the morning- I believe Lopburi is about 1-2 hours north on the train. Plan to only spend a few hours in Lopburi (I would say 3) and you can leave your pack in the train station for a small fee. Try to plan it so that you can easily board the next train that is headed to Sukothai and its a pretty painless stop but so worth the sights of hundreds of monkeys running all over the place.

Once in Chiang Mai- do a trek! I did a 3 day trek and it was fantastic.

Luang Prabang- Although it was nice seeing a different country, I cant say that I would do it again. They are very far behind Thailand (I heard someone say 30 years?) and there isnt much to do. If you have time, I would fly down to the beaches instead- even if you only have 3-4 days. The flight would cost about $100 and the flight takes 2-3 hours. (Fly into Phuket and take a taxi directly to the pier to Ko Phi Phi).For the time you could spend in Luang Prabang, you can be relaxing on a beach with the beautiful views. And, you can easily fly to Bangkok from there too.

Anyway, I hope some of these suggestions help. I love Thailand and I hope you enjoy your trip!

Saryne

#2 saryne11 has been a member since 31/5/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by walkingtrees on 21/7/2010 at 06:00

thanks for the info. i am planning on stopping by lop buri to see the monkeys en route to phitsanulok.

i'm also planning on visiting luang prabang --> VV --> Vientiane. What do you mean by there wasn't much to do in Laos?

#3 walkingtrees has been a member since 25/1/2010. Posts: 58

Posted by saryne11 on 21/7/2010 at 12:13

Hi! Sorry, I thought you were only heading into Luang Prabang , if you plan to go to all 3 than it is worth visiting. While in Luang Prabang we did a boat tour up the river to a temple and saw the night market, we also went to the most amazing waterfall- I will try to remember the name for you. We spent about 6 days in Laos, VV is great because you can tube down the river and stop at bars along the banks- they throw out ropes to you and drag you in! Very fun, they also have rope swings for the brave to jump into the river- I wouldnt recommend this though. I did it and ingested water and got very very sick. Have fun!

#4 saryne11 has been a member since 31/5/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by chriswotton on 21/7/2010 at 12:54

To satisfy the local life and geography/scenery side of what you're after, I would definitely recommend a couple of nights in what is currently my favourite place in Thailand - Sangkhlaburi. It certainly doesn't win any prizes for must-see attractions, but it's the bee's knees if you want somewhere with a (ridiculously!) relaxed atmosphere to chill out for a while. http://www.travelfish.org/location/thailand/central_thailand/kanchanaburi/sangkhlaburi

Enjoy your trip!!

#5 chriswotton has been a member since 7/9/2008. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 91
 Where has chriswotton been?   Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.