Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

your ideal itinerary

• walkingtrees

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2010

Hi Guys

So I'm still trying to hash out a rough itinerary for my Thailand/Laos trip (first time in SEA, first time aboard solo) for August 2-26, flying in and out of BKK. I plan on heading north from Bangkok, seeing Sukhothai (chose this over Ayutthaya), making my way to Chiang Mai, flying to Luang Prabang, and then getting back to Bangkok. Those 4 spots are as of right now my only musts.

I ask this: what would you do? Where would you go?

I'm a 28-year-old guy and want to experience a little of everything...treks, ruins, meeting other travelers but more importantly locals, long nights, early rises to see monks, wildlife, geography, food, whatever. I can do the party thing one day and be happy someplace remote the next.

Any suggestions on things to check out between my 4 "must" stops or logistically tips?

Thanks, love this site!

#1 Posted: 15/7/2010 - 00:16

• Advertisement

• saryne11

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2010

Hi!

I have been to Thailand twice- once with a friend and once alone. And Ive also visited Laos. So, my top 4?

When you go to Ayutthaya- you have to take a river boat tour at sunset. Really amazing sights and you get to see locals swimming in the river. Really wonderful.

On your way to Sukothai- you have to stop in Lopburi - the monkey city. Monkeys are literally jumping on cars and walking on buildings- something that I thought was once in a lifetime. When you board at Ayutthaya, leave in the morning- I believe Lopburi is about 1-2 hours north on the train. Plan to only spend a few hours in Lopburi (I would say 3) and you can leave your pack in the train station for a small fee. Try to plan it so that you can easily board the next train that is headed to Sukothai and its a pretty painless stop but so worth the sights of hundreds of monkeys running all over the place.

Once in Chiang Mai- do a trek! I did a 3 day trek and it was fantastic.

Luang Prabang- Although it was nice seeing a different country, I cant say that I would do it again. They are very far behind Thailand (I heard someone say 30 years?) and there isnt much to do. If you have time, I would fly down to the beaches instead- even if you only have 3-4 days. The flight would cost about $100 and the flight takes 2-3 hours. (Fly into Phuket and take a taxi directly to the pier to Ko Phi Phi).For the time you could spend in Luang Prabang, you can be relaxing on a beach with the beautiful views. And, you can easily fly to Bangkok from there too.

Anyway, I hope some of these suggestions help. I love Thailand and I hope you enjoy your trip!

Saryne

#2 Posted: 15/7/2010 - 11:33

• walkingtrees

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2010

thanks for the info. i am planning on stopping by lop buri to see the monkeys en route to phitsanulok.

i'm also planning on visiting luang prabang --> VV --> Vientiane. What do you mean by there wasn't much to do in Laos?

#3 Posted: 21/7/2010 - 06:00

• saryne11

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2010

Hi! Sorry, I thought you were only heading into Luang Prabang , if you plan to go to all 3 than it is worth visiting. While in Luang Prabang we did a boat tour up the river to a temple and saw the night market, we also went to the most amazing waterfall- I will try to remember the name for you. We spent about 6 days in Laos, VV is great because you can tube down the river and stop at bars along the banks- they throw out ropes to you and drag you in! Very fun, they also have rope swings for the brave to jump into the river- I wouldnt recommend this though. I did it and ingested water and got very very sick. Have fun!

#4 Posted: 21/7/2010 - 12:13

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 50

To satisfy the local life and geography/scenery side of what you're after, I would definitely recommend a couple of nights in what is currently my favourite place in Thailand - Sangkhlaburi. It certainly doesn't win any prizes for must-see attractions, but it's the bee's knees if you want somewhere with a (ridiculously!) relaxed atmosphere to chill out for a while. http://www.travelfish.org/location/thailand/central_thailand/kanchanaburi/sangkhlaburi

Enjoy your trip!!

#5 Posted: 21/7/2010 - 12:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
a month in Indonesia - ideal itinerary? ... By travelinchen on 19 Mar 2011 41 28692 12 Jul 2011
4 weeks in Indonesia: your ideal itinerary! ... By champp on 18 Feb 2011 7 18458 4 May 2011