Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Trip suggestions from Chiang Mai

• faithhopesn-
    owey

Joined Travelfish
    27th June, 2010

I will be arriving in Chiang Mai on the 20th of August. Plan to visit the temples and do a trek. Not too sure where ( Laos, Cambodia or stay in Thailand) or what I should do after that. I have until the 3rd of August to mess around with as I need to be in Hanoi then to meet a friend. All suggestions gratefully received!

#1 Posted: 18/7/2010 - 22:53

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi faith,

does that time between august 20 and september 3 include having to travel overland to hanoi, or are you flying to hanoi from somewhere specific? (in other words, how are you getting to hanoi?) cambodia will likely be too far out of the way for a visit during the time you have, but staying in the area in thailand or touring through northern/central laos are definite options. have you been in the area before? what types of things do you like to do and how much/little is your budget?

#2 Posted: 19/7/2010 - 01:20

• faithhopesn-
    owey

Joined Travelfish
    27th June, 2010

Sorry I got my dates mixed up. I am arriving 20 July and need to be in Hanoi on 3 August. I plan to fly to Hanoi. This is my first time in S.E. Asia. I am interested in a bit of everything really. I'm very interested in history and I also like to learn as much as possible about a country's people and culture on any trip I go on. Also up for adventure though. So a bit of a mixed bag appeals to me really. In terms of budget, I'm backpacking but don't mind paying out money for something worthwhile.

#3 Posted: 19/7/2010 - 19:37

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Okay, so you are flying to Hanoi , but I'm still not sure from where. Arriving in Chiang Mai on July 20th (meaning you are there already, right?) and flying to Hanoi on August 3rd gives you two weeks to spend. I think with that amount of time the obvious choices are to hang out in Chiang Mai for awhile, and maybe do a side trip to Chiang Dao or one of the other fun, nearby destinations. You can get some good ideas from the feature section articles on Travelfish.

After that, I'd head over to Luang Prabang in Laos. You can fly from Chiang Mai direct (expensive at about US$ 150) or do a land/riverboat combination. Once you are in Luang Prabang, you can visit all the cool stuff in or near the city, and then do a side trip to one of the popular backpacker village hangouts in the area. There is lots of culture and adventure in Luang Prabang. Then you can fly to Hanoi from there.

Of course, if you already have your air ticket to fly to Hanoi from Chiang Mai or Vientiane or Bangkok, then that would be a completely different thing. Regards.

#4 Posted: 20/7/2010 - 04:24

• faithhopesn-
    owey

Joined Travelfish
    27th June, 2010

Hi again. Yes I am currently in Chaiang Mai. I plan on flying to Hanoi from wherever I end up, be that someplace in Laos or Cambodia. I think I will head to Chiang Dao. It sounds like something a bit different. I'm not too sure about going to Laos as several people have recommended Cambodia to me instead.

#5 Posted: 22/7/2010 - 19:02

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Good to take it a step at a time. In Chiang Dao check out the Chiang Dao Nest or Malee's Nature Bungalows. Maybe then take a local bus further north to Thaton and try Apple Guesthouse or Garden home right by the river. Take a morning boat to Chiang Rai or see about a ride up to Mae Salong in the tea plantations with huge hilltop views. Would be pretty nice with this lovely misty weather we're having.

Then either get back to Chiang Mai or head to Chiang Khong to get yourself to Laos and later fly quick or bus cheap (but very long) to Hanoi.

#6 Posted: 23/7/2010 - 15:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.