Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Must see places in Thai and ideas for NYE

• dwright14

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2010

Hey guys,

I am just inquiring some of your ideas about where to visit in South East Asia ?

We are arriving in BKK on Nov 21 and are staying for around 2 months...hopefully planning to do an anti-clockwise travel from Bangkok to Camdodia, Viet then up through Laos and around to Chiang Mai and Rai then down back towards Bangkok.

Also, other than Full Moon party, where is good for New Years ?I have heard that there is something really good in Central Laos. Anyone have any ideas ?

Looking forward to hearing back from some of you.

#1 Posted: 20/7/2010 - 08:01

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Vang Vieng in central Laos is probably the place. It has mixed reviews here on travelfish. The Party set like it, the culture set doesn't.

As for "Must Sees" that really depends on you and your interests. For some people, Patpong and soi Cowboy are must sees. For other people they are vulgar and degrading. For some people cultural sites such as Ayadhaya are must sees. For other people they are boring. So to determine what's a must see, first it helps if we know what your interests are.

#2 Posted: 20/7/2010 - 16:17

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Definitely sounds like Vang Vieng is that party place in central Laos you've heard mentioned. It is nestled among some fantastic limestone cliff formations, and has lots of outdoor recreation options, including floating on the river, which doesn't have to be a drunken adventure but 99 times out of 100 seems to turn out that way. I'd imagine that Vang Vieng would be a full-on, party-til-you-puke New Year. Watch your passport and wallet!

As for those elusive must sees, like MADMAC says, it depends on what you like to do. There are quite a few great spots that most first-time visitors to SEA enjoy quite a bit. Bangkok is a good place to start your trip and get past whatever jet lag you might have. You could also pop up to Ayutthaya and/or over to Kanchanaburi for a few days until you get settled. Then, heading the counter-clockwise direction you mention, I'd go to Siem Reap for Angkor Wat and great food and drink. Form there I'd go down to Phnom Penh for a few days for riverside life and old architecture, etc. From there drift down river to Vietnam, and then head north along the coast, getting in plenty of beach time, and eventually going west from northern Vietnam into northern Laos. Depending on what you like to do, places like Luang Prabang and the Plain of Jars are worth a visit, as are some of the lesser-developed towns in that region. There is also Vang Vieng as already mentioned. I like Vientiane too if you wind up going in that direction. Then you can head back into Thailand (keeping in mind that you'd only have 15 days visa exemption if you arrive by land), perhaps visiting Chiang Mai and the north or going more off-the-beaten path in northeast Thailand, finally working your way back to Bangkok for end-of-the-trip shopping and the flight home.

Anyway, there are some good itinerary suggestions in the Before you leave section at the top of the page. Be sure to give those ideas a look too. Hope that helps. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 20/7/2010 - 22:38

• ebsb

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2010

Ko Panghan is a lot of fun on NYE, but 2010/2011 ill be in Ko Phi Phi, I heard theres alaways big parties there.

#4 Posted: 20/7/2010 - 23:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Helpppp - Southern Thailand - places you HAVE to see? Any ideas ... By sarah7196 on 5 Apr 2011 9 2745 3 May 2011