Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Train Hopping

• walkingtrees

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2010

Hi Guys

Getting psyched for my trip to Thailand/Laos on August 1st...I'll probably be posting some more random questions up here in the next week or so. Thanks for all the great info and help here!

How easy is it to get off a train at whatever station you want? Say I'm heading up to Phitsanulok to see Sukhothai en route to Chiang Mai..however, I suddenly see the monkeys at Lop Buri and want to get out? I'm assuming the the ticket I bought to "P-Lok" is void once I get off? Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to get off between Bangkok and Phitsanulok? Sukhothai is the planned first big stop for me after Bangkok.

There isn't any type of rail pass/day pass is there?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 21/7/2010 - 05:57

• Advertisement

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

You can get off the train at Lop Buri,no problem but your ticket will be void after that.Ayuttiah is worth having a look at if you're interested in history etc.That's on the same line as BKK-Phitsanalok.Quite a few guest houses to choose from.No such thing as a rail/day pass on the railway.Hope that helps.

#2 Posted: 21/7/2010 - 16:29

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

A hop on/off pass would be great but alas this is Thailand not Europe and that would require too much thinking on their part. Rail tickets are good for the destination and date specified and that's it. The upside is they're cheap, a 2nd class aircon seat ("Sprinter") to Phitsanulok being 449 baht or a 3rd class seat 219 baht. But if you just book to, say, Lopburi, and decide instead to keep going it should be ok to pay the attendent for a further fare (they don't throw you out in the middle of nowhere like in Germany).

#3 Posted: 22/7/2010 - 15:00

• walkingtrees

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2010

thanks for the tips!

#4 Posted: 25/7/2010 - 02:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hopping on the BK- Singapore train from souther Thailand? ... By noworries on 1 Dec 2011 2 1286 8 Dec 2011