Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Prachuap Khiri Khan or Nakhon Si Thammarat?

• banana8

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2010

Hello,

I'm planning on travelling south after Bangkok - Kanchanaburi, with the ultimate aim of getting to Krabi. I know thats a long journey so was going to break it up with a stop-over on the way. I'm not sure if Prachuap Khiri Khan or Nakhon Si Thammarat is the best option. From what i've read i'm veering towards NSK as it seems a bit less touristy and generally nicer than PKK. If anyone has been to both and has any advice I would be very grateful to hear it!

Thanks

#1 Posted: 27/7/2010 - 05:43

• Advertisement

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi can't comment on NST but spent a few days in PKK Feb 2009 and we really enjoyed it. Very few tourists clean provincial town with a predominately chinese thai influence all just going about there business.Had some great seafood lunches across the road from the beach and virtually had the beach to ourselves. We would definitely stop off there again. Plus the accommodation was great value.
    any questions ask away

#2 Posted: 27/7/2010 - 05:54

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

Was in Prachuap a few years back and from what I recall it was very quiet with no tourists.Good place to sit back and just watch things go by.One thing I remember about it is the shrine[don't think it was a temple]on top of the steep hill not far from the centre of town.Went up there to have a look and the place was crawling with monkeys and monkey crap everywhere.And the stink...But that's Thailand.

#3 Posted: 27/7/2010 - 10:14

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

PKK town too touristy? That's new.

Anyway, PKK is pretty much as swag says, and probably a bit easier than Krabi via NST.

NST province has some great beaches, but NST town I can't tell you anything about.

Another possibility similar to PKK is Chumphon. I like them both.

#4 Posted: 27/7/2010 - 10:36

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I spent a few days in PKK earlier this year and really liked it. One or two tourists, but not many; I hope it stays that way.

Some nice places to eat along the seafront, plus quite a big market in town. There's just has a nice Thai feeling to the place. The beach is a short tuk tuk or bike ride away, in the middle of a Thai Airforce base. You have to sign in as you go in, with possibly the world's worst security, but that kind of adds to the charm. When we were there, there were quite a lot of Thais at the beach, but very few westerners. The food at the food court over the road was good and really cheap.

We caught a bus to Krabi from PKK. You have to buy the tickets beforehand and then get up to the main road just inland. Our bus came thundering down from BKK at about 12 midnight. Got into Krabi about 6, I think.

#5 Posted: 27/7/2010 - 16:55

• banana8

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2010

Thanks everyone! Thats all very helpful stuff. Not sure why I thought PPK was touristy, I may have got it mixed up with somewhere else. I apologise! It sounds very nice.

#6 Posted: 28/7/2010 - 03:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hua Hin or Prachuap Khiri Khan? ... By nightowlers on 21 Sep 2011 7 885 21 Sep 2011
Good Times in Prachuap Khiri Khan ... By CrankyCarrot on 3 Jan 2011 17 2800 4 Mar 2011
Guesthouses in Prachaup Khiri Khan ... By KirstyB on 10 Dec 2011 0 398 10 Dec 2011
nakhon si thammarat anyone? ... By fondo on 11 Sep 2009 4 2394 23 Sep 2009
phuket to Nakhon Si Thammarat ... By boxee on 28 Nov 2008 4 4868 31 Mar 2014
Accommodation in Nakhon Si Thammarat ... By ecoldwell on 18 Nov 2008 5 2496 22 Nov 2008
Car rental in Nakhon Si Thammarat ... By champer on 2 Feb 2011 0 2624 2 Feb 2011
Getting to Nakhon Si Thammarat town ... By kay_kay on 21 Aug 2007 2 2531 22 Sep 2007
Getting to Nakhon si Thammarat from Bangkok ... By dylanone on 24 Dec 2006 3 3252 27 Dec 2006
Nakhon si Thammarat to Pak Bara Ferry Point ... By ecoldwell on 2 Dec 2008 2 2715 4 Dec 2008