Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand-Cambodia: Krong Koh Kong border

• yukata

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2010

Does anyone have any tips for getting from Bangkok to the Krong Koh Kong border? How long does it take? Also, once I cross the border I want to make my way to Kampot but figured that would be a really long lag to cover in one day (and may not even be possible?). Any advice on where to stay to break up the travel?

#1 Posted: 27/7/2010 - 06:16

• Advertisement

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,
    First you need to travel to Trat.
    Very easily done from either the airport bus station on the Eastern (Eakkmai) station. About 270 Baht 4 hours or so.

Trat,s not a bad place for a night and your guest house can arrange a ticket all the way to Sihanoukville for 600Baht, or a mini bus just to the border.

At the border you can just walk across but the town of Koh Krong is a few Kilometers away and you will need to get a bike or taxi.

If you choose to go directly to SV the minibus departs at 9 am & you arrive SV about 3 pm. The mini bus will only take you to the border & you still have to get to Koh Krong where the big bus leaves from, but it SHOULD be included in the ticket (but check carefully)!

From SV there are lots of tickets to Kampot & Kep for a few dollars.
    Don't think you'll make it in a day!!!

Oh, expect to pay 1,200 Baht for you visa rather than the 25$. And 25 Baht for a pefectly useless 'health check'!!
    Hope this helps,
    Mike

#2 Posted: 27/7/2010 - 10:50

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I seem to remember it's more like 5 hours + from Bangkok to Trat .I usually go with Cherdchai company from Ekamai.I find them one of the best private companies to go with.At Trat the white minivans go to the border every hour during the day and charge 120 baht.
    The border is small and easy to cross but as Mike says you will pay 1200 baht for a visa here.I would strongly advise you to get a visa beforehand either in Bangkok or get an e-visa for $25.
    From the border you can take a moto to the town for about 50 baht.It takes 20 minutes.Ther are a couple of companies doing the route to Sihanoukville now but before booking take time out to have a drink in Fat Sam's cafe/bar on the main street.He or his wife can tell you the 'real' price of a bus ticket as the ticket office will try and get as much as they can out of you unless you can show you know the price.
    KK is worth a night's stop.It's a beautiful area.Again Sam can give you information on getting to the beach or the waterfalls etc.
    You CAN go direct from Trat to S'ville but I think KK is worth a day or maybe more.
    It's about 4 hours to S'ville from KK but there is no way you will get public transport on to Kampot on arrival in S'ville at that time of day unless you go in a shared taxi.
    ps Mike -When did they reintroduce the health check or is this a new scam based on 'swine flu'.

#3 Posted: 27/7/2010 - 15:15

• yukata

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2010

Thanks for the quick responses! It sounds like the way to break up the trip is:
    -Bangkok to Trat
    -Trat to Koh Kong
    -Koh Kong to SV/ Kampot

Is there a way I can get directly to Kampot from KK or do I need to go to SV first?
    Is it possible to do the Bangkok-Koh Kong lag in a day?

Also, I plan to get my Cambodia visa in advance, but what is the 'health check' all about?

Many thanks!!!

#4 Posted: 28/7/2010 - 06:33

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

First off, yes it's easily possible to get from Bangkok to KK in a day.The first bus leaves Ekamai at 7 am so you'll be in Trat bus station by about midday plus.The minibus to the border is a few metres away.You may have to wait awhile for the van to fill but taking about one and half hours to the border you could make it by 2pm.
    Border formalities half hour and moto into KK, arriving about 3pm

I doubt whether there is a way to get straight to Kampot ,you go to S'ville first.When you arrive there it might be worth asking if there is a van going to Kampot that day.If not you can find plenty of accommodation in town or go a bit further to the beach.

The health check. Years ago there was a scam involving immigration insisting you produce an international vaccine certificate(in reality this is only required if you've come directly from certain parts of Africa)As nobody ever had one there was a 'fine' imposed.This scam has been dead for ages.Maybe Mikethediver can enlighten about that.
    I imagine the new one has something to do with Swine flu or something as a lot of countries around that area were giving questionaires and checking temperatures on arrival.I had this treatment arriving in PP by air a few months ago but it cost nothing at the airport.KK is the most corrupt border entering Cambodia.They are never slow when there is a chance to make money scamming travellers.

#5 Posted: 28/7/2010 - 14:28

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Posted from within Vietnam.

hi,
    Yes the new scam is all about swine flu.
    Your temperature is taken and you are given a leaflet explaining what to do if you feel sick.
    Of course, there's no swine flu anymore but there are always scams!!!

Mike

#6 Posted: 31/7/2010 - 12:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Same day visa run (Cambodia-Thailand-Cambodia) possible? (at Hat Lek / Ko Kong) ... By Zjaaspoer on 21 Oct 2014 1 173 23 Oct 2014