Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

weather in november on the islands

• mickdaly10

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2010

hi,
    im new to this site but am travelling to bagnkok in november the 22nd and am planning on travelling down to koh phangan and the surrounding islands. i just have one problem i see theres a lot of rain during this month am i better advised to stay away at this time of year??
    i see the islands of ko samet and ko chang dont get as much rain though still quite high would i be better off visiting these islands instead as im going to enjoy the beautiful beaches??
    any advice would be greatly appreciated
    regards

#1 Posted: 27/7/2010 - 22:23

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The Gulf of Thailand, especially the lower gulf has an Oct-Feb rainy season and November can be the wettest month on Ko Samui/Phangan/Tao. The upper gulf, e.g. Ko Samet and Ko Chang stick more with the June-Oct rainy season which applies to most of the rest of the country so are better bets in November rain-wise. The west coast is usually drying out at this time entering the drier Dec-March season.

These are just patterns though and on any given day it can rain in the tropics. Still I think your safest bet is the west coast - from Khao Lak down to the Krabi and Trang coasts. Inside the gulf can be really wet.

#2 Posted: 28/7/2010 - 01:36

• mickdaly10

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2010

thanks a million for your advice its really appreciated and helpful!!
    if it rains on the islands in november would it normally be for the full day or just a blast of rain for an hour but otherwise sunny?
    id like to be able to go to the half moon party so may just go over for a day or two weather permitting!!

#3 Posted: 28/7/2010 - 03:29

• hutty

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2009

ko phangan When the monsoon hits, there are just weeks of cloudy days and full on rain. The parties are much smaller because there are no people left on the island (compared to high season)

If you are going for a party then I would recommend going when it is not monsoon. But the parties suck anyway so why would you bother? There is only one party left on the island that is any good and its not the half moon.

#4 Posted: 28/7/2010 - 05:34

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Look, these days I avoid the southern Gulf Oct thru to late Dec, but if I REALLY wanted to exerience the FMP I'd call in at Phangan - you could hit a patch of nice weather like I did there on my very first trip into the area.
    If it is crap, experience the party and then it's not much of a jump over to the Andaman side where late Nov usually has wet season ended. I'll be there again this year.

Note the eastern Gulf (big Ko Chang, Ko Samet) is usually even better late Nov - anecdotally and statistically wet season tends to end earlier there. The Thai Bureau of Meteorology does not even include November in that area in its WET SEASON OUTLOOK.

#5 Posted: 28/7/2010 - 13:39

• mickdaly10

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2010

thanks for your replies i really appreciate it i decided i will plan transport to go to both and weather permitting when i arrive in bangkok il follow the sun!! thanks again

#6 Posted: 28/7/2010 - 15:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Weather November - islands ... By Neilk61 on 26 Sep 2011 6 7247 28 Sep 2011
another weather in november question ... By snowfish on 18 Oct 2009 4 3535 12 Oct 2010
Con Dao island weather in November? ... By NicolasCA on 31 Oct 2007 2 3895 6 Nov 2007
Figuring out November travel regarding weather ... By TheNewGuy8 on 5 Nov 2010 1 1755 6 Nov 2010
Thailand in November: good weather??,,, ... By breaker15 on 11 Oct 2010 9 33429 27 Oct 2010