Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Ferry from Ko Yao Noi to Koh Phi Phi plus diving Similans in October.

Posted by globopato on 28/7/2010 at 16:15

We are planning to travel from Ko Yao Yai/Noi to Koh Phi Phi in October. I saw mention of a daily ferry in an earlier posting. Can anyone tell me if it is still running and times? Also if it runs in the reverse direction - Koh Phi Phi to Ko Yao Noi and times?

We also plan to visit Khao Lak in late October - I'm a bit confused as to whether you can dive in the Similans at this time of year and whether live aboard trips are running? Most seem to start in November.

#1 globopato has been a member since 28/7/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by similandiver on 29/7/2010 at 00:26

It is true - visiting the Similan Islands before November 1st is illegal. If you want to stay on the islands, the bungalows and tents were not available until November 15th last season.

#2 similandiver has been a member since 9/7/2010. Location: Thailand. Posts: 3
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by tezza on 31/7/2010 at 20:06

I'm not sure if that ferry (actually I think it's a speedboat) runs in October. I'd be googling Yao Noi/Yai websites to see if they have any details on their GETTING HERE site.

#3 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,338
 Website 

Posted by globopato on 2/8/2010 at 14:21

Thanks for the replies - doesn'tseem to be much info out there - I will email the resort we want to stay at and see what they say - I just assumed they would offer a transfer at an inflated fee or send us back to Phuket to get the ferry to Koh Phi Phi.

With the diving in October - we don't necessarily want to stay on the Similans but check the live aboard situation. Can you still visit the Similans on a dive boat without landing on the Islands? I saw somewhere that live aboard trips were running from mid-October but wasn't sure how official this was.

#4 globopato has been a member since 28/7/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by similandiver on 3/8/2010 at 01:43

The Similans Are closed to traffic until November 1st. It's actually illegal to go there before that point.
There are no safety services or evacuations available. There are only a few rangers living on the islands. The mobile phones are not working - and very few liveaboards actually have satellite phones in case of accidents.
It is also our understanding that insurance would not cover anything that happens while illegally visiting a region like this(same as travel insurance does not cover areas that are in a state of emergency...like Bangkok right now).

#5 similandiver has been a member since 9/7/2010. Location: Thailand. Posts: 3
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.