Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Suggestions for travel route, newbie here PLEASE help

• austintexas-

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2010

I am planning to backpack for 6 months and it seems like everybody starts in Bangkok. I would like to go to Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand Islands, Malaysia, and Singapore(and if I have time/money I would also like to hit up Indonesia and Phillipines). I am going to be leaving on November 1st. Should I fly into BKK and go to Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, then head south? or should I fly in to Singapore and just head north hitting all my destinations I would like to visit? What is best for the weather and what not, like is it going to be cold AT ALL in Loas in december? And one other quick question about getting a Visa, if I fly in to BKK does my 30 days start that day? because if I fly in to BKK then go to Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and then back to Thailand, can I still get my 60 day tourist visa? I would like to spend as much time as I possibly can in Thailand. I am from United States by the way.

Thanks for all the help! I am so pumped about planning this trip but I have only left Texas twice before and I am going by myself, so I am a bit nervous :-\

#1 Posted: 31/7/2010 - 04:49

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

First of all, congratulations for being brave enough to leave Texas and see what the rest of the world is like! You'll have a great time and it'll probably change the way you see things for the rest of your life. It's natural to be nervous the first time you go anywhere and of course it'll be exotic and strange and totally different from back home (that's the whole point) but I think you'll be amazed how safe and easy it is to travel in SE Asia.

Best starting point depends where you want to go first. Both Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur are hubs for Air Asia which has cheap flights to a lot of places you might want to go, Singapore is less well connected and a more expensive place to stay but you could overland up to Thailand from there if you want. It's up to you really. I think you need to look at a map and work out a general itinerary first. Try and make one that doesn't involve too much unnecessary backtracking.

There are some some itinerary ideas which might be useful to you on this site.

http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/thailand-indochina-tour1

Weather. The BBC has a very good site which tells you what the weather is like everywhere in the world and when the best time of year to travel is. Just type in the country in the search bar.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/

Visas. You will get a new 30 day stamp every time you fly into Thailand. The days are counted from the day you arrive. If you stay less than 30 days in Thailand you don't need a visa. If you are staying more than 30 days then you can get a 60 day tourist visa in any Thai consulate, just get one en route back to Thailand. Tourist visas are free until March so try and get one before then. (You can use a 60 day tourist visa up to 90 days after it gets put in your passport)

#2 Posted: 31/7/2010 - 15:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Udon Thani - Ko Tao: route suggestions? ... By gratorn on 14 Feb 2011 8 2730 16 Feb 2011