Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

3 weeks in Thailand, Cambodia and/or Laos

• awnyc

Joined Travelfish
    2nd August, 2010

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the site, but am loving the content and the posters. So very informative.

To get to the point, with my husband I'm hoping to plan a 3 week trip to southeast asia during late Dec/Jan. Would love to have more time, but with out schedules that's the most we could eek out.

That said, where should we spend our time!? Both of us travel a fair bit, but have never been to the region. We're adventurous and love experiencing the local culture. Touristy things just aren't us. I don't want to spend half of my trip plowing through crowds of large tours (you know the ones, where everyone wears matching t-shirts, hats, etc.).

We plan to spend 4 days in Koh Toa (or somewhere similar) getting PADI certified. We're flexible about where we fly into/out of. Budget conscious, although we'll be there during our anniversary so a suggestion on where to splurge for a night or two is very welcome. And maybe a beach for a few days? All that said, we might not have time for all 3 countries if we want to relax somewhat too.

I know very little about the region as a westerner with no trip under my belt. And I realize this is totally subjective since everyone has different tastes.

Send your thoughts my way, please!

#1 Posted: 2/8/2010 - 04:09

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey New York,

You definitely won't have time for all three countries. The 4 days on Ko Tao plus travel to/from, etc., will take up most of one week, leaving just two weeks for all the rest.

Given the relatively short amount of time you have, I'd suggest just staying in Thailand for the three weeks. Since you'll already be diving in southern Thailand, it makes sense to continue on that way for the great beaches and/or islands the area has to offer. Then you can slowly make your way back up towards Bangkok with side trips to places like Kanchanaburi and Ayutthaya.

If you wanted to cram another country into that itinerary, normally I'd recommend Laos. Great culture. Great beer. etc. But the logistics of your trip suggest that Cambodia and a trip to either Siem Reap for Angkor Wat or Phnom Penh or maybe even both is a better fit time and distance wise.

No matter what you decide, definitely remember that less is more when it comes to travel, and you'll have more fun visiting just a few spots than trying to rush through too much. Hope that helps. Regards.

#2 Posted: 2/8/2010 - 06:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
thailand,cambodia & laos in 3 weeks?? ... By halongbay07 on 4 Mar 2009 4 2822 7 Mar 2009
3 weeks in Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia ... By ross8 on 19 Jun 2012 2 2623 20 Jun 2012
Thailand, Laos, Cambodia - 5 weeks ... By catty1987 on 2 Mar 2011 18 4541 23 Apr 2011
5 weeks in Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia ... By jwheld2 on 1 Dec 2013 4 814 5 Dec 2013
7 weeks in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia ... By Cary on 1 Jan 2010 5 2853 3 Jan 2010
12 Weeks Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam ... By alssolotour on 10 Aug 2009 2 4240 11 Aug 2009
4 weeks Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia ... By babiguling on 13 Apr 2010 5 6714 4 May 2010
6 weeks Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia/ Thailand ... By HollyN on 9 Sep 2012 3 2964 11 Nov 2012
Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and a bit of Thailand in 5 weeks ... By sven365 on 16 Jun 2010 1 3924 17 Jun 2010
7 Weeks Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia ... By AdamZee on 17 Apr 2010 5 4517 10 Sep 2012