Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

2 weeks in Chiang Mai

• Geezy

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

Hi all,

My holidays from work start 20th August and i am heading down to book a 2 week break in Thailand. I done this last year and went down south to the islands. This year i am looking to head up north to Chiang Mai . Is there enough to do in Chiang Mai to warrant a 2 week stay there? How easy is it to travel around bearing in mind that i have only 2 weeks? I would rather spend quality time in a place rather than being on the move all the time rushing to see too much.

Many Thanks
    Geezy

#1 Posted: 4/8/2010 - 15:56

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Of course there's plenty to do for a 2 week stay, but I'd make a point of getting out of the city and explore the surrounding area, preferably by scooter/motorbike, but being rainy season a car might do better. There are also plenty of tuk tuks and songthaew (covered pickup taxis) for shorter trips around town and to the outlying area, and plenty of buses out of the main "Arcade" bus station to everywhere in the country. It's popular to do a run up to Pai, Soppong, Mae Hong Son for a few days, or up to the Golden Triangle area along the Mekong. Hilltribes, elephants, a bit of rafting or trekking always on offer. Loads of good restaurants and courses on Thai cooking, yoga, massage, and more temples per square mile than probably anywhere else in the country. And yes I live in CM but no I don't work for the Thai Tourism Authority =)

#2 Posted: 4/8/2010 - 20:51

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

There is so much to see and do in Chiang Mai , you won't get to it all even in two weeks. You could eat at a different restaurant for each meal and still not get to everything good. Great variety in bars and pubs and massage spots and places to stay too. Chiang Mai is a wonderful place to settle in and feel at home.

I like Bob's advise about getting out of the city a bit too. In addition to the places he mentions, I really like Chiang Dao. You can read more about it here: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/66

The Thai Elephant Conservation Center (TECC) is a nice (albeit long) daytrip. You could combine it with a quick stopover in Lampoon. Relatively nearby Lampang also has a lively local night/pub scene and a colourful weekend market.

Off topic here: Bob, you are running a guest house in Chiang Mai, right? You aren't signed up for private messages, so I haven't been able to ask about it before. But I'm asking now. Will you tell me more about it? Location? Basic description? Website? Thanks!

#3 Posted: 5/8/2010 - 05:29

• Geezy

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

Thanks for the replies guys. That has really helpeed me out and made up my mind. Just been checking flights from Chiang Mai back to BKK... £20!! Cheap as chips

Geezy

#4 Posted: 5/8/2010 - 15:54

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Welcome Geezy. As for the guesthouse exacto, I try to keep it low-profile since it's basically my GF running the place and only has 8 rooms 100-250 baht, and she kinda checks people out before checking them in. IOW it aint no Lonely Planet mega backpacker haunt although we do occasionally get a good mix of the right folks. But no online bookings just daily walk-ins. The cafe is actually more popular than the rooms as it's about the only place open semi-late in my area which is on the way "home" to dozens of other guesthouses. Anyway here's the secret map http://www.flickr.com/photos/captain-bob/4365033302 and the secret website http://www.iantaylor.org/cmginnyplace.html
    There's a Travelfish blurb on it at http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailandadditions/7991_ginny-place-guesthouse-in-chiang-mai. Certainly feel free to drop by for a beer some evening. Cheers/Bob

#5 Posted: 5/8/2010 - 18:18

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

The place looks awesome Bob. I've been meaning to try a beer too, so I'll definitely stop by next time I'm in town. Regards.

#6 Posted: 5/8/2010 - 21:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.