• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 50

Hi all

Am thinking of making a short-ish trip up to one or both of Nakhon Nayok and Uthai Thani in the next couple of weeks, and wondered if anyone had visited (whether recently or in the more distant past)?

I realise this is less trodden ground than elsewhere, but if anyone has any experiences worth sharing I would love to hear.

Thanks

Chris :)

#1 Posted: 5/8/2010 - 19:17

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Chris,

Less trodden? You've got that right.

I used to live and work in Prachinburi, just down the road from Nakhon Nayok, and work took me there on quite a few occasions. I can almost guarantee that if you see another foreigner there, he or she will be a plant manager or engineer at some stainless steel factory, or will be employed in the agro-chemical industry, or married to a Thai. Few to none will be there merely for pleasure and/or curiosity.

There's not much to the place in terms of things to see and do, but you'll definitely be immersed in normal people doing everyday things, and the usual terrific night markets, etc. But depending on when you go, you could catch one of the incredible agricultural fairs that they have. Farmers from all over the nearby provinces bring in the best of the best of their fruit for competitions, judging, and selling. Mah-phrang, durian, mangosteen, rambutan, to name a few. These events are big parties, and you won't get better fruit anywhere in the country.

Been to Uthai Thani, but really can't remember anything about the place. You'll probably love it.

Have fun.

#2 Posted: 6/8/2010 - 20:49

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Durian? Really? Wow! There is a reason finer hotels don't allow that stuff. ;-) More power to you if you can eat it. Bigger hit than a nicotine patch I'm told.

Anyway, those night markets in non-tourist towns have great food and cheap too. Definitely worth a look if you find yourself off the beaten path. For those cities that don't have backpacker-specific places to stay, the Thai businessman-level hotels are usually pretty decent choices with good amenities and typically cost in the 300 to 500 baht per night range.

If you go, write up a trip report so we can read all about it. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 6/8/2010 - 22:41

• Tigress

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2013

Uthai is great provide, very beautiful but tiny amount of tourist support, you will need your own car at a minimum. BUT it is very beautiful especially the limestone karst's and next to the mountains.

#4 Posted: 31/12/2013 - 17:41

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Tigress, you mean you need your own motorcycle at a minimum.

#5 Posted: 31/12/2013 - 22:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
uthai thani ... By redrob on 12 Apr 2009 2 1239 13 Apr 2009