Bangkok September 2010

• InkaHero

Click here to learn more about InkaHero
    Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Hi Everyone, hows it going?

My first trip to Thailand.
    I'm gonna be landing in BKK on Sept 13, not sure where I'm going to be staying yet. I should be working (DJing) in a club near Sukhumvit Soi 20. I'm probably going to rent a really cheap room (7516 THB?) for a month.

I'm planning to be in Thailand for 6 months.

If anyone has any info, places to stay or wants to meet up or even share some accommodation, get in touch :)

I'm also going to be doing a bit of Thai boxing.

#1 Posted: 12/8/2010 - 03:57

• Advertisement

• viajero2011

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2010

Hey!

I'll be landing in BKK on 23 Sept to start a 6 week solo tour of SE Asia. I am currently planning to stay for a week or so in Bangkok before heading south. I'm looking for some like-minded people to meet up with and socialize. I'm a laid-back, outgoing, 27 y/o male from Florida interested in good people, good food, photography, cultures, etc. etc. If you are cut from the same cloth and would like to meet up for a beer, hit me up!! Safe travels....

David
    email: davidburt08 at gmail.com

#2 Posted: 13/8/2010 - 04:48

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

InkaHero

Just a couple things. You say you will be in Thailand for 6 months - are you on some sort of work visa? No problem getting a free 30 days on arrival, no problem getting a 2 months visa from your nearby Thai embassy but just plopping down and staying in Thailand for 6 months means you have to do some planning.
    Thai Visa Forum has some info on visas and work permits.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/

You might have to stay in a cheap hotel or hostel for a while and check out some places to stay longer at. I wouldn't contract for any apartments sight unseen or you could have a place over a noisy karaoke joint or in an area not convenient. Maybe you can get something in the Thong Lo area. A place not far from the Skytrain will help a lot. The Skytrain runs up and down Sukhumvit Road.

Thai Visa Forum also has some info on apartments too. If you can afford a little more money you will get a better place. An apartment for a regular Thai citizen may be something where you have squat toilets, no A/C and cold water plumbing.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/73-thailand-accommodation-finding-forum/

Here is a place you can get for a few days if you want. Soi 1 Guesthouse. Other places also available. Many cheap hotels do not have fancy websites.

http://www.soi1guesthouse.com/

Once you are settled for a day or two you can walk around looking for cheaper places to stay at. You can also check with other expats for advice on where to stay. One hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 4, the Happy Inn will have rooms with air, hot water, private toilet and TV for 600 baht but no website. Happy Inn located between the Nana Hotel and the Ibis Hotel, same side as Nana, near an Orchid Group Hotel.

Things to do, visas, first night or two hotel/hostel stay and then hunt up an apartment. You also need to know how to get from the airport to your hotel too. Some older posts will explain that but there are buses from the airport that drop you off on Sukhumvit and meter taxis available. You also have to notify your banks that you will be overseas or any credit card or debit card use may be denied because of suspected fraud. Wait until you get to Thailand to get your best exchange rate.

Will someone from the club be helping you get settled?

Good luck.

#3 Posted: 13/8/2010 - 08:46

• InkaHero

Click here to learn more about InkaHero
    Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Hi sirhalberd,

That's a lot of info, thanks!

I'm planning on getting an "Ed" Visa since I will be Thai Boxing whilst there.
    The work is not confirmed yet, so I will sort out the work visa when/if it is.

I'm asking people that I know out there for as much guidance as possible but other than that, it's just me. :)

Will look check out the links

Thanks again

#4 Posted: 13/8/2010 - 09:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
28 Yr old guy, flying out to KL 8th September 2010 ... By Steve81 on 26 Jul 2010 0 1087 26 Jul 2010
september 21 to 25 2010 singapore ... By nasmej11 on 7 Jun 2010 2 1171 8 Jun 2010
September 2010 HCM -> Siem Reap ... By kimberleyr17 on 1 Jun 2010 4 2101 19 Jul 2010
arriving to phnom penh 22 september 2010 ... By trifomech on 16 Aug 2010 0 1061 16 Aug 2010
Free tourist visas August & September 2010 ... By Pablot on 17 Jun 2010 4 2217 17 Jun 2010