Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Escaping winter.......

• dave12

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010

My wife and I are retiree and looking for a place to stay for about 2 months during winter time. We read about Koh Lanta where Europeans like to spend their winter there. We are looking forward to go there this winter and would like to get a recommendation for a nice and clean place to stay. The place should be easy to commute around the island and also affortable.

#1 Posted: 12/8/2010 - 14:52

• Advertisement

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

There are many places to stay on Ko Lanta and I'm sure you'll find something that suits you. My wife and I stayed on the island for nearly 2 weeks over this last winter (out of 4 months total in South East Asia) and stayed in 3 different places during that time. Each of them gave us slightly different things; one cheap and right on the beach, one a little bit nicer bungalows, but also on the beach, one further from Baan Saladan and a bit more expensive, but also very nice.

Its difficult to say whether any, or indeed none of these places would suit you or are in the price bracket you wish to pay. We enjoyed all 3, but you may like something different.

My suggestion would be to have a place reserved for a few nights when you arrive (does get quite busy in high season), then hire a motorbike and have an explore round the island. You will, I am sure, find places that suit you perfectly. One thing I like about Ko Lanta is that it can be many different kinds of island; it has Baan Saladan and the surrounding area which is very busy (too busy for me to stay near, but fun at night); it has resorts strung along the beaches as you move away from town; and it has places right away from the main areas, quieter and quite different. Spending time in each may be a way to go.

#2 Posted: 12/8/2010 - 15:21

• dave12

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010

Thank you for your advice, we will try that.

#3 Posted: 12/8/2010 - 15:47

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Khlong Nin is a central beach with good access to various places on the island and is big enough to offer a fair range of accommodation places.

#4 Posted: 15/8/2010 - 16:42

• sharongreen

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010

Klong Down Beach is really nice, it is the best in Lanta. There are several small resort that offer long stay with affortable price. We use to stay at Lantavadee, the pink bungalow. Try that.

#5 Posted: 20/8/2010 - 23:28

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

You might want to have a look at Freedom Bungalows up the hill from Long Beach. We really enjoyed Koh Lanta and while I stayed down on the beach this place looked great up the hill with great sunset views. They also offer a long term rate which might suit you
    cheers

#6 Posted: 21/8/2010 - 07:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.