Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Newbie: Is needing some reassurance!!

• austintexas-

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2010

I'm 22 years old and I am selling my car tonight to fund my 6 month backpacking trip to SE Asia. I have never traveled before and will be going solo. It just hit me today because I am selling my car(which is my baby) and I'm starting to have second thoughts about going. I just need somebody that has done this trip or is there now to give me a little reassurance that it is going to be the best time I've ever had and I'm not making a mistake. This is probably the only chance I will have in a reaaaallly long time to do something like this, so I know I need to take advantage of it. PLEASE HELP!

#1 Posted: 13/8/2010 - 04:25

• Advertisement

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Have a great time, spend that cash as slow as you can to begin with. But most of all have fun. You posted to Thailand so I assume you are starting there. Traveling in Asia is as hard as falling off a log.

#2 Posted: 13/8/2010 - 04:35

• viajero2011

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2010

Hey -

I am also planning a solo trip to SE Asia in a month or so. I will be going for 6 weeks to a part of the world where I have never been and know little to nothing about. I have my concerns as well, but whenever I begin to think that it's going to be too much or overwhelming, I just remind myself that this is the best way to grow and to get to know myself as well as others. I say "in 30 years, am I going to remember that time when I sold my car to travel the world or am I going to remember that time that I ALMOST did something amazing but instead decided to stay at home and do the same thing I have been doing all my life?" If that fails, I just remind myself that whether it be 6 months or 6 weeks, in the grand scheme of things it's not that long. If you decided to bail on the trip, 6 months after your D-Day, you will be kicking yourself thinking about how fast that time went by and how you could have been on Ko Pha Ngan for a full moon party with people from all over the world.

I think we often think of the "worse-case" scenarios or focus on what could go wrong rather than all the amazing experiences that are more likely to happen. I hope this helps! I sometimes need a little encouragement too so this helped me remember why I just dropped $1200 to travel solo for 6 weeks!!! I couldn't be more excited!!! Good luck and safe travels!

DB

#3 Posted: 13/8/2010 - 04:41

• austintexas-

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2010

Dude that is exactly what I was talking about. Thank you! When are you leaving and where are you planning on going?

#4 Posted: 13/8/2010 - 04:54

• viajero2011

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2010

Haha I figured that was all you needed!!! I arrive in Bangkok on Sept 23 and leave out of Bangkok to return home on 1 Nov. No real set plans right now, but my tentative schedule looks something like this: Bangkok for a week or so, then moving south towards Ko Samui or Ko Pha Nga for a few days/wk, then onto probably Krabi . After Krabi I had thought about Singapore (where I have a friend) then possibly Australia at the end. It's all up in the air though.....if you will be anywhere close, let me know and we can cross paths for a cold beer!!
    Good Luck!!!

#5 Posted: 13/8/2010 - 05:02

• austintexas-

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2010

I'm flying into Singapore in the first week of September and making my way up the east coast to Ko Samui, Ko Pha Nga, and then staying in Ko Tao for a couple weeks. After that I'm making my way to the west coast to all the islands. We should definitely meet up for a cold one, maybe the full moon party! Just let me know.

#6 Posted: 13/8/2010 - 05:11

• viajero2011

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2010

sweet! It looks like we will probably be crossing paths at some point during our trip.....we'll keep in touch as our dates get closer. Feel free to email me (davidburt08 at gmail.com) anytime if you have questions and obviously as we get closer, get in touch. Good luck and look forward to some cold Singha on a Thai beach!!!

Cheers,
    David

#7 Posted: 13/8/2010 - 05:21

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

"This is probably the only chance I will have in a reaaaallly long time to do something like this, so I know I need to take advantage of it."

You don't need encouragement from anyone. Based on the above, you already know you're doing the right thing.

Have a blast. It's going to change your life more than a car ever would.

#8 Posted: 13/8/2010 - 10:31

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

You can always get another car. You may not get another chance to hit the road for 6 months as life can often get in the way (study, work, girlfriends/boyfriends, marriage, babies, mortgages - responsibilities! Just go and do it and have fun!

Somsai makes a good point about managing the cash. It is very easy to get carried away as soon as you arrive - but if you want to keep going for 6 months, you will need to watch the funds. Know how much you plan to spend on a daily basis, and monitor it for the first few weeks. Some days you will be under budget - but there will be days that you are over budget. It all evens out in the end, but you need to pace yourself. I have heard of people who blow it all in the first 2 months by partying up big-time in Koh Phangan or wherever, then have to head home early.

And if you keep having concerns or doubts, you know you can always come home whenever you want! But I somehow doubt that will happen. You will have the time of your life!

Enjoy!!

#9 Posted: 13/8/2010 - 17:53

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

PS. My comments above are from someone who didn't take the opportunity to travel in my early 20's because I put work, study and other stuff first. It took another 20 years before I felt I was in a position to do it. Now I don't think I'll get it out of my system.... job be damned! :-D

#10 Posted: 13/8/2010 - 17:56

• Advertisement

• changgarden

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2010

Just GO for it!!

Travelling alone is always scary in the beginning, but you will find you are never alone as long as you keep your spirit up.
    Trust your instincts and you will not go wrong.

In all of Asia you will find people doing the same thing you are. Don't make too many plans on beforehand and just let the travel come to you.

Good luck.
    Astrid

#11 Posted: 14/8/2010 - 09:33

• humpdawg

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009

'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.' - Mark Twain.

Do it man. It'll be one of the best times you ever had. You can always get another car.

#12 Posted: 14/8/2010 - 18:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Newbie needing Itinerary Help! ... By VanessaL on 11 Jun 2011 3 1894 15 Jun 2011