Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Transportation--Pai to Um Phang?

• itsallaroun-
    dyou

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2006

Hi, can someone tell me the fastest route to travel from Pai to Um Phang? So far I came up with (by bus): Pai -> Chiang Mai -> Tak -> Mae Sot -> Um Phang....This trip is over 13 hrs on the road, not including waiting for connections. I know its a long trip regardless of route, but I'm worried about not making the whole trip in one day.

I know there's an airport in Mae Sot, that has flights from Chiang Mai, but I can't seem to find any airline offering that trip.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

#1 Posted: 13/11/2006 - 09:44

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It's highly unlikely you'll go that in a day -- the road from Mae Sot to Umphang is 165km long and very mountainous -- it take a longtime and the songtheaws leave in the morning as far as I know.

From Pai to Mae Sot you can either take the route you're considering, or continue around via Mae Hong Son to Mae Sariang, Khun Yuam and so on down to Mae Sot - this is a BEAUTIFUL road -- overnight in Mae Sariang if you can - it's an interesting little blip of a town.

While the above takes longer than going via Chiang Mai, it doesn't matter too much as you'll need to overnight in Mae Sot anyway before heading onto Umphang.

Flights from Chiang Mai to Mae Sot - news to me... I think there is still occasional flights from Bangkok...

#2 Posted: 13/11/2006 - 10:21

• itsallaroun-
    dyou

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2006

Ok, so I'm coming to the disappointing conclusion that I might have to cut Um Phang out of my itinerary...unless i can find a speedy (within one day) way to get there.......so is it possible to get to umphang from bangkok in one day? i've looked into flying part of the way to Sukhothai (apparently no one flies to Mae Sot anymore (despite what the Lonely Planet guide says). Also, with it being so difficult to get to, would it be worth it to go if I can only stay for 2 nights?

#3 Posted: 17/11/2006 - 04:53

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Well you could get a night bus from Bangkok to Mae Sot and then get the songtheaw in the morning up to Umphang. Perhaps there is a night bus from CHiang Mai, but I doubt it...

It's not that it is difficult to get to - just time consuming ;-)

If you're just planning two nights there, you're really only allowing yourself one full day there, which isn't very long at all -- are you sure you can't scrape a few more days out of your itinerary from somewhere else?

#4 Posted: 17/11/2006 - 06:01

• itsallaroun-
    dyou

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2006

Believe me I've been trying to fit it all in. I have too many destinations and can't decide which one gets the axe (they all look good).

Here are my destinations, maybe you can help me decide how many days minimum i'd need in each to see the highlights: Ko Sukorn, Khao Lak, Khao Sok (this may be the first to get the axe since i've only got an overnight stay scheduled here so far), Pai, Um Phang, Kanchanaburi, and Bangkok

(I'm trying to get a good balance of nature and nightlife.)

thanks again (and i thought i was done planning when i posted my itinerary the first time! :)

#5 Posted: 17/11/2006 - 10:16

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ha - trip planning is never completed - it is always a work in progress!

I remember reading your trip plan earlier, what about if you changed the order a little -- something like:

Bangkok ->(fly) Trang -> Sukorn -> Khao Sok -> Khao Lak -> Bangkok -> Kanchanaburi -> Bangkok -> Umphang -> Pai -> Chiang Mai -> (fly) Bangkok.

While you can't do Bangkok to Umphang in a day, you certainly can do Pai to Bangkok in a day (bus to Chiang Mai, then fly -- or overnight bus/train)

There are few things you can do in Kanchanaburi that you can't do in Pai, so if it was my trip and I needed to knock off a couple of places, I'd skip Khao Sok (as you won't have enough time to enjoy the park) and Kanchanaburi (as you can go rafting, trekking etc etc in both Umphang and Pai, PLUS Kanchanaburi isn't on the road to anywhere else, so there a backtrack to Bangkok involved as well.)

I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but when it comes to short trips in Thailand Less is More -- if you've only got four days for islands, bite the bullet and pick one island rather than divide your time between two -- for starters that will give you more time to enjoy the island you settle on, but it will also save you time -- same goes for national parks, trekking and so on.

If your trip is looking too rushed and you're pulling your hair out trying to squeeze time for one more island out of it, then chances are it is too rushed -- save the rest for next year!

Hope that helps - feel free to come back with itinerary #234,982 for suggestions ;-)

And don't forget, chances are when you arrive in Bangkok, you'll say "Holy Cow I love Bangkok -- toss your well-planned itinerary in the bin -- and start from scratch -- that's what I did and it took me seven years to escape!"

#6 Posted: 17/11/2006 - 11:13

• itsallaroun-
    dyou

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2006

You are right...planning is never done (and i'm deliberately not booking rooms in advance so i can be flexible). As of last night i decided to just have a rough idea of where i want to go and then play it by ear once i get there. the next itinerary i send will be what i actually did while there.......thanks again for all of your advice :)

#7 Posted: 17/11/2006 - 23:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.