Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

A couple of travel questions around Thailand

• danoleary

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2010

hi me and and my girlfriend are going to thailand for 2 months and i just wanted to know if a couple of journey are do able. we will be going from chang rai to nan which i have found has a bus going between. from nan we would like to go to Sukhothai from nan is there a bus that gos directly there or would we have to go back to chang rai or chang mai and go from there, also from sukhothai we want to go to Trat for the ferry to koh chang.Is there a bus that runs this route or would we have to go via Bangkok. Thanks in advance for your help and this site has helped a lot with are planning Dan

#1 Posted: 21/8/2010 - 19:48

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hi Dan,

Nan is very nice. Good choice.

Yes, you can go from Nan to Sukhothai . You may have to change buses in Phrae, and then again in Phitsanulok . There might be a direct bus, but I'm not sure. I have done this trip in the past and always had to change buses in those two places.

To get to Trat , the easiest and fastest way will be to go to Bangkok first (perhaps on the night train from Phitsanulok), and then to Trat by bus from the Eastern Bus Terminal (Ekamai).

If you take a night train from Phitsanulok, you will be able to get a bus to Trat in the morning and, if things go smoothly, will probably be sitting on the beach by dinnertime, or sooner.

Another option would be to take a daytime bus from Sukhothai or Phitsanulok to Morchit (Bangkok's Northern Bus Terminal) where you can catch a bus to Trat without having to go to the Eastern Bus Terminal. You may arrive in Trat sometime near dark, but you can stay in Trat for the night. It's a great little town that's worth staying at least one night in.

Enjoy.

#2 Posted: 22/8/2010 - 01:41

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

for Chiangrai-Nan, there are 2 bus routes: (1) via Phayao town (faster), & (2) via Thoeng, Chiang Kham & Phu Langka (slower, more mountainous).

not sure how much time you have for Nan + your interests, but i like the small towns & villages north of Nan city e.g. Pua, Ban Nong Bua, Chiang Klang. enjoyed lots walking through the residential areas & farms while finding our way to the Tai Lue-style temples there. Nan culturally very rich, but without the crowds of Chiangmai.

#3 Posted: 22/8/2010 - 07:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Couple beginner questions for a month long trip through Thailand ... By Zima on 10 Feb 2011 11 3000 12 Feb 2011
A couple questions ... By jldm on 9 Jul 2006 4 1383 10 Jul 2006
First time in Vietnam - couple of questions ... By grishgori on 4 May 2013 14 3436 1 Sep 2013
SE ASIA / Singapore - couple of questions ... By 9preciousGems on 11 Jul 2013 3 445 15 Jul 2013
Itnerary advice and a couple of questions for Cambodia trip ... By eveliens on 26 Dec 2010 11 3781 21 Jan 2011
33/m travel buddies for north thailand 27/01, laos couple weeks later ... By pjc on 24 Jan 2012 0 870 24 Jan 2012