Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Full Moon obscured by clouds - worth it?

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Hey guys,

I'm in Patong just getting used to it all before venturing forth to check out the rest of the Kingdom and throw a few baht into the economy.

I'm told I MUST see the Full Moon party at some stage. Seems I've got two basic options; Ko Samui or Ko Phangan.

I hear Phangan has resorts which sounds more expensive, so perhaps Samui is the way to go?

I'd be much obliged if someone wise could confirm this, and also the basic costs and times involved in getting there.

From what I know so far, it's a matter of getting to Phuket town and catching a bus/van to Don Sak, which takes about 3 hours and costs 500thb, then getting a boat to either of the islands for something like an hour and 100thb.

Is this accurate?

Thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 23/8/2010 - 16:53

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hey Cranky,
    I don't think anyone actually goes to a Full Moon party to see the moon!? Clouds shouldn't make much difference - everyone wakes up in a haze anyhow. Or so I've been told. I avoided FMP's - they're not my scene.

Anyhow... Koh Phangan is where the real FMP's are held. Lots of budget accommodation as well as resorts. People staying on Samui and Tao often come across for the night. I actually really enjoyed Koh Phangan but I preferred to stay away from the party zone (ie Haad Rin ). As a place to stay, I'd recommend a gorgeous beach up north - Thong Nai Pan Noi. (Stayed at Star Hut from 600bt/night). It's about a 45min drive across some pretty rough roads to get there - real 4WD territory, but good fun. Gorgeous beach, a little bit of night life but not too much. All the places on KPN will run buses down to Haad Rin for the parties on the night.

You should be able to organise a bus/boat combo fare from Phuket or Patong. Not sure of costs or time, but to give you an idea I caught bus/boat combo from Surat Thani to Koh Phangan for 450baht. I think the boat ride itself was more like 2.5 hours.

Enjoy - and watch your wallet there! If there's ever a place to be paranoid about your stuff, it's while at a FMP after sinking a bucket or two of vodka and red bull!

#2 Posted: 23/8/2010 - 17:52

• Joss369

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2010

Hello there carrot. I was there last about 5 years ago. Yes the full moon party is well worth the visit, but do keep your wits about you or you may fall victim to some crime or another, don't accept drinks off strangers, don't accept drugs and don't wander off with them unless your on a promise, a friend of mine went off with a crowd and lost everything he had on him, luckily apart from a really sore head he was fine.

I stayed in Samui last time as there was no accomodation available that close to the full moon but don't worry, on the beach at Charweng you can get on a speed boat for about 500 baht return, I must admit they do over fill the boat, and at night it is a little scary as you cant see anything in the water and they drive like idiots, but we made it alive.

Some hotels that are available will well overcharge or want you to book up for a few nights, remember the area will be deserted the days following the party but there is plenty to see and do there and probably one of the better islands.

Hope it all goes well and you have a great time.

#3 Posted: 23/8/2010 - 18:09

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Hey Lizzy, hey Joss,

Really appreciate the valuable advice. As liz knows from my previous posts I prefer to err on the side of caution when in unfamiliar territory. I'm pretty much over my phobia about beach theft now - mainly just concerned about the jellyfish a lifeguard on Karun (sp?) beach warned me about a earlier this evening.

I'm still weighing up whether to go to the FMP this 25th, as here's my situation;

I've got another 6 and a bit weeks left on my Thai visa, and the time off work and funding to potentially stay abroad for at least a year - as long as I budget properly and don't stack it on a motorbike and wind a mangled twit on an early plane ride home.

So basically if I miss the FMP in a couple of days, I can probably make the HMP in a fortnight or the FMP in September, if not both, and properly research the best deal in terms of accommodation, positioning and security of my stuff. I've been renting rooms to myself so far and I really like the privacy/AC. These are pretty much essential to me for the time being.

Secondly, I've come down with a slight cold in the last couple of days and I'd really like to shake it off before I go kicking my immune system in the ghoulies with those trusty buckets of vodka and red bull.

And finally, I've only just begun to find some kind of equilibrium with the environment here. I'd be perfectly content and comfortable to just take it easy for a bit, maybe drive a bike out over the hills and rent a room in a guesthouse around Kurun or Katta for a few days to a week. 400 a day sits nicely with my budget for that, and it's nice to get away from hectic-ness of Patong. Walking around Kurun, I find there's just the right level of street-harassment from the vendors, masseuses and diner staff. I can handle that.

As long as I've got a access to the net, a bike and a beach, I'll never get bored.

Whew, big post. Think I've made my mind up on my own! Cheers for listening if you did :)~

PS Other major reason to hold off til September is if I want to get to Ko Samui by a reasonable hour tomorrow, I'd have to be ready for a bus at 7am and, whoa boy could I use a sleep in tomorrow..

PPS Anyone quickly bring me up to speed on the dif between HMP and FMP, besides the obvious moonlight disparity? How long til they milk that cash cow and launch QMP and NMP's?

#4 Posted: 23/8/2010 - 20:24

• Joss369

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2010

The only difference is, the ammount of people attending and the decent Dj's playing.

#5 Posted: 23/8/2010 - 22:11

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"Anyone quickly bring me up to speed on the dif between HMP and FMP, besides the obvious moonlight disparity? How long til they milk that cash cow and launch QMP and NMP's?"

They also have Black Moon Parties on KPN - and I seem to remember seeing signs for another type, although can't recall it now. Not sure what the differences are.

#6 Posted: 24/8/2010 - 03:41

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Half Moon Party = Half as crazy!

#7 Posted: 24/8/2010 - 03:47

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

I'm giving this months FMP a miss. I'll be sure to check it out in September though. Maybe I can start with an HMP to warm myself up for the main event.

Might be nice to chill out on Ko Samui for a week or so prior to either celebration and secure a room at a reasonable rate. What's your average room with ac go for there? 400-500 like Patong?

#8 Posted: 25/8/2010 - 14:50

• Joss369

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2010

The last time I was there in Chaweng I stayed at the Chaweng garden beach resort for about 900 baht per night, looking at the web site I can see that they have really updated the place and that is reflected in the new room rates. Forget the air-con, or move away from the beach area to get much lower prices.
    Do let me know as I will be going there on the 1st/2nd October, stopping there for a couple of days before moving over to Koh Tao, booked up to go scuba diving and finally get my PADI diving cert.

#9 Posted: 25/8/2010 - 16:27

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Hey Joss,

I have no qualms staying some place that's a 20-30 min walk to the beach, or even further since there's always motorcycles for getting around quickly. I could live with 900 for the first night, just to work out the lay of the land I guess, then hunt down the bargains.

More likely I'll be going there after you've moved on though, like around the week leading up to Half Moon, which'd be 7-14th Oct if I'm not mistaken?

#10 Posted: 25/8/2010 - 17:07

• Advertisement

• Joss369

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2010

I thought you were heading down there to try to make the September Full moon or half moon party.

I might be able to make the HMP in october which would be good, Koh tao is only a short boat ride away.

#11 Posted: 25/8/2010 - 18:37

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Hey Joss,

Yeah, I was going to go for the Sept FMP, but then I got hit with a nasty cold - I've lost my voice a bit and sound like that pimply teenager on the Simpsons who works at Krusty Burger.

I'm just gonna take it easy for the next few days in Karon/Kata while my immune system finds its feet again and get back to rights. No hurry for me - I've got a year off ;)

At this time I plan to hang around here for another week or so, then mosey over to Ko Samui and for the August moon parties. Bound to run into fellow T-Fishermen and Fisherwomen at some point.

#12 Posted: 26/8/2010 - 09:58

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 50

""Anyone quickly bring me up to speed on the dif between HMP and FMP,besides the obvious moonlight disparity? How long til they milk thatcash cow and launch QMP and NMP's?"

They also have Black Moon Parties on KPN - and I seem to rememberseeing signs for another type, although can't recall it now. Not surewhat the differences are."

There's also the 'Shiva Moon Family' parties - no idea what the deal with those is though...

#13 Posted: 4/9/2010 - 00:34

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Okay, so it seems like basically you'd have to go out of your way to be there when there isn't some kind of moon-based party going on. Well, that's convenient - no hurry for me then.

#14 Posted: 4/9/2010 - 10:59

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Full moon party?..
    Rain or shine, clouds or storm,.the party goes on man,. Its cook rock party all night. hehe

AA

#15 Posted: 10/9/2010 - 21:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Full/Half Moon Party- Is it worth it?? ... By lilymissfun on 20 Feb 2012 6 8498 28 Feb 2012
Is it worth booking accomodation in advance for the full moon party in april ... By mc600 on 25 Mar 2011 1 2582 26 Mar 2011
Full moon vs Half moon ... By jbmpinkham on 15 Apr 2013 1 1677 15 Apr 2013
Full moon festival in Hoi An ... By steiny on 11 Feb 2008 4 6462 21 Feb 2008
Full Moon @ Philippines ... By berdichev on 9 Feb 2011 5 4023 18 Sep 2014
Full Moon Party ... By veronicad on 18 Dec 2012 5 2428 20 Dec 2012
full moon accomadation ... By matt89 on 27 Jul 2009 1 1861 28 Jul 2009
NYE Full Moon Party from Koh Tao ... By alexanderaroch on 1 Sep 2012 5 4928 4 Sep 2012
Full Moon...then where? (for 7 days) ... By EMc85 on 12 Jul 2012 5 1526 15 Jul 2012
Koh Samui Full Moon Aug 4-7 ... By chinezero on 22 May 2012 3 969 26 Jul 2012