Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

First Time Traveler - Itinerary

• jackRussel

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2010

Hi All,

I'm planning my first visit to Thailand. I only have 2 and a half weeks and i'm going in Mid November.

My plan is:

Land in Bangkok.
    Fly to Krabi - stay overnight
    Ferry to Koh Lanta
    Ferry to Koh Phi Phi
    Ferry to Phuket
    Fly back to Bangkok.

From all my research it seems quite a sensible, easy route, that involves minimal traveling time and one that allows me not not go back on myself.. is this the case?

I am a little worried about the ferry between Koh Lanta & Phi Phi, I keep reading that at some time in the year it doesn't operate. I'm struggling to find confirmation that in Mid November it will?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can offer.

#1 Posted: 24/8/2010 - 01:55

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hi Jack - Try this website for ferry info: http://www.tigerlinetravel.com

#2 Posted: 24/8/2010 - 03:20

• jackRussel

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2010

Thanks Lizzy.

The ferries on that website only go to Phi Phi (from anywhere) from 2nd December, i'm hoping this isn't the case for all ferry companies?

#3 Posted: 24/8/2010 - 19:21

• jpundek

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2010

Hi there,

I spent 6 weeks in Thailand, 3 weeks down South on the islands. I would advise skipping Ko Lanta. I will confess I went in low season (It'll be busier when you're out there) and god it was awful. The whole island had shut up shop it was empty, the beaches were average and I couldn't wait to get out.

Ko Phi Phi is great fun, but I wouldn't spend more than 4 nights there it can be pretty intense! If you have time I really recommend Ko Tao. Not too crowded at all, gorgeous beach and a perfect mix of fun at night and quietness at day. Although it will be busier for you I can't say it has anything unique. If you dive Phi Phi is better. If you want a nice beach Phuket is better.

Enjoy your trip, Thailand was my favourite country!

#4 Posted: 3/9/2010 - 02:58

• arundown

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2010
    Location Singapore

Yea jack i would say Koh tao is much better compared koh lanta but it would affect your travel plan if you touch up on koh tao.island.but difinitely u will enjoy Phi Phi Island.Another choice is to extenx your stay at phi phi or to visit koh samet islnad which is close to bangkok!!

#5 Posted: 3/9/2010 - 10:06

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Here's a good site for you http://andaman-island-hopping.com/
    I think you can count on the Lanta-PhiPhi ferries running by mid-November, and I've even taken them at the end of October in previous years. Ko Tao and the other lower gulf islands can be very rainy in November. I like your initial plan and am a fan of Ko Lanta - great island for renting a scooter and exploring, and don't miss the relatively unvisited east side of the island, the old port town right down to the Ban Chaolay ("Sea Gypsy Village") at the southern tip.

#6 Posted: 3/9/2010 - 16:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
FIRST TIME TRAVELER ... By claire86 on 3 Apr 2013 8 1240 16 Apr 2013