Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Floating Markets in/near Bangkok or Pattaya

• LGR_2010

Joined Travelfish
    2nd April, 2010

Hello,
    I'll be travelling to Thailand in Sept and will only be there for about 3 days.
    I just need some advise on where there are any good floating markets in/nearby Bangkok. It's just one of the things we want to experience. (The other things on our to do list include going on an elephant ride - haven't decided where yet, shopping at chatuchak market and of course, visiting the Grand Palace.
    I might also be taking a quick trip down to Pattaya but I heard the pattaya floating market is not so good (lots of shops are closed, water is murky, not worth a trip there) so the ones in bangkok would be my best bet.
    Hope to some help on this - any info will be great!
    Thanks,
    LGR

#1 Posted: 29/8/2010 - 23:40

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Richard Barrow has a good site for this kind of thing called Unseen Thailand. Have a rummage round there.

http://www.richardbarrow.com/unseen-thailand/index.php

You might enjoy Taling Chan weekend market. Not a very big floating market but also not nearly so much a tourist trap as Damnoen Saduak. There are some details in a trip report I wrote last year. (Scroll down to the bottom of the page).

http://www.travelfish.org/location/thailand/bangkok_and_surrounds/bangkok/bangkok

Unfortunately the "great pics" of the canal trip and market that were there don't work any more as my (free from TF) flickr pro account has expired now and I haven't renewed it. When I tried to, Flickr required me to give Yahoo all sorts of personal details. Personally I think Yahoo is a cyber thug ...even after deleting the program that wretched and very nosy Yahoo toolbar hasn't go away...so I'm not giving it my name, address and bank details as well. Sorry about that!

#2 Posted: 30/8/2010 - 03:20

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I'd recommend Amphawa: http://www.amphawafloatingmarket.com/

"Amphawa Floating Market is an afternoon floating market by the canal near Wat Amphawan Chetiyaram. On Friday, Saturday and Sunday, during 12.00 p.m. – 8.00 p.m., the Amphawa Canal is occupied by vendors who pack their boats with food and drinks, such as fried sea mussel, noodles, coffee, O-liang (iced black coffee), sweets, etc."

I stayed there for 2 nights back in 2008 and loved it. Amphawa is an area that fill up on the weekend with Thais who are escaping Bangkok for a weekend break. It isn't touristy at all in the 'vendors selling cheap and nasty trinkets' sense - it was very much a 'local style' market. There was an excellent range of food, we got the chance to talk to some lovely locals, and there were some fantastic photo opps. I think we saw a total of maybe 5 other non-Thai tourists there over the 2 days.

Not sure how you could organise a day trip there - you will have to do a bit of research on that one. (My sister and I had hired a car so we drove ourselves there). But it's worth the effort.

The next morning we went to the nearby touristy floating market (possibly Damnoen Saduak)
    and in comparison, it was awful.

If you can manage it, I would suggest you stay a night. We stayed in a placed that was literally built on the klong, where you could relax on comfy chairs on the riverside and just watch the locals getting on with their business. We planned to stay for 1 night, and stayed for 2. It was a real gem of a find for us.

#3 Posted: 30/8/2010 - 03:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bangkok floating markets? ... By blyths24 on 19 Dec 2013 34 1723 27 Dec 2013
Floating markets ... By ngg18 on 7 Jun 2008 1 1756 10 Jun 2008
floating markets ... By splashtree on 23 Aug 2009 3 1303 24 Aug 2009
Mekong Dilema - Floating Village or Markets? ... By ohaileagain on 15 Mar 2007 6 1681 22 Mar 2007
Maps for Floating Markets and Songkran activities ... By busylizzy on 6 Apr 2013 5 1751 7 Apr 2013
Floating markets in Can Tho-- is it worth the time to see Phong Dien? ... By mtn77 on 7 Oct 2014 3 501 17 Oct 2014